Durham Sunday League: Chilton Lodge hail super Mac for brilliant cup hat-trick

Have your say

Houghton Chilton Lodge revelled in a first-half Iain Macpherson hat-trick as Hartlepool St Francis Old Boys were thumped 4-1 in the Durham County Sunday Cup’s preliminary round.

Macpherson’s heroics had the tie all but over early on, but Andrew Bowes sealed the victory with a fourth goal for the dominant hosts midway through the second half.

Third Division Houghton lost 4-1 to Gateshead Sunday League champions Wrekenton Blue Star, but the scoreline does not reflect the balance of play.

Houghton took the lead on 23 minutes with an own goal after good pressure from the home forwards.

However, Wrekenton scored two in five minutes to lead at the interval. Houghton were the better side for long periods in the second half but could not capitalise on any of their numerous chances, and had a goal ruled out for offside. Wrekenton caught them on the break twice to seal their win.

Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars netted twice inside 10 minutes, though Shaun Corner and Liam Lusk, on the way to a 6-1 demolition of Consett Fountain

Glenn Davies pulled a goal back, but the second half was mainly one-way traffic towards the Fountain goal as Houghton created chance after chance. Lusk and Corner netted again, with Jason Clark and a glorious strike from Stephen Parkin making it six, and sealing All-Stars’ first County Cup win since 2008.

Hilda Park turned on the style to beat Darlington Shuttle & Loom 4-0 away from home, with star man Chris Duke (2), Max Moss and Marc Smith netting.

Duke needed just a minute to make the breakthrough, and he doubled the lead on 20 minutes. Hilda showed defensive resilience before Moss showed silky skills to beat his defender and fire home for 3-0. Jak and Jamie Gordon tormented Shuttle’s defence before Smith headed home Chris Watson’s corner to complete the scoring.

Pelaw Grange Dogs were squeezed out 4-1 on penalties after a 2-2 draw with South Shields Riverside.

Jordan Stevens fired Pelaw in front with a left-foot strike across the keeper and keeper Craig Bain made some excellent saves to keep them ahead until the 89th minute, when Riverside struck after the hosts failed to deal with a free-kick.

Riverside led with a free header in the fourth minute of extra time and could have put the game to bed, but Pelaw took the tie to a shoot-out when Paul Curry side footed home after good work from Daniel Igo.

Stevens was Pelaw’s only successful penalty taker.

Kelloe WMC succumbed 3-2 at home to Wingate Plough Inn in a game changed by the red cards rightly given to the home team. Michael Hogg’s double made it a close finish despite Kelloe finishing with eight men.

Bishop Middleham hit back from two goals down to beat Easington Welfare 3-2.

Stephen Ferguson clinically despatched a penalty to spark the revival, with Ian Brabon chipping a leveller from Ferguson’s sublime pass. Bishop’s chances came and went until John Cook hit a memorable late winner, flicking the ball over the centre-back’s lunging leg to smash home a fierce 20-yarder. They even had the luxury of a missed Ferguson penalty.

Chilton & Windlestone WMC cruised to a 4-0 win ver Consett Castleside Horse & Groom, while Brandon Sports Club were equally convincing victors at Hartlepool The Mowbray, with Paul Basey (2), Michael Fort, Gavin Mudd, Paul Turner and Chris Kidd securing a 6-1 success.

Sherburn Village were inspired by a Conor Winter hat-trick as they demolished Stanley Masons Arms 11-1

Paul Arnott and Craig McManus both struck twice, with Steve Young, John Patterson, Paul Foster and Scott Abbott also netting.

Pelton Crown were flattered by their 6-1 victory at home to Easington Southside, taking their chances without playing well. Two-goal Liam Mitchell, Kris Lawton, Dean Stewart and Keith Lines were among the goals.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club lost 3-1 to Peterlee Sunday League visitors Hetton The Tuns, while Langley Park won through, beating Willington Queens Head 2-0, and West Rainton outgunned Sunderland side Saltgrass 4-1.

New Brancepeth WMC drew 3-3 at Hartlepool side South Durham SC in a cracker, only to lose on penalties.

Hetton New Inn succumbed to a 6-2 defeat at Hartlepool Raglan, while Witton Gilbert Travellers Rest lost 3-0 to Newton Aycliffe The Huntsman Goodfellas and High Handenhold Bird Inn defeated Peterlee Sunday League side Hetton Social 3-2. Ouston Juniors exited 4-2 at Murton Park View.

Washington Cricket Club saw off Hartlepool Welfare Athletic 6-3, while Sacriston Cricket Club lost 1-0 at Sunderland outfit Willow Pond.

High Shincliffe Avenue were crushed 8-0 at Boldon Shack, while Dubmire WMC lost 2-0 to visitors Shildon Elm Road WMC and Framwellgate Moor WMC went down 3-1 at Washington Stella.

Coxhoe Red Lion edged home 3-2 against Hartlepool Stranton Social, but Bede Lodge SC lost 3-2 to Consett Scotch Arms, Eppleton Cricket Club went down 4-1 to visitors Yarm George & Dragon.

Burnside WMC progressed thanks to an excellent 6-2 victory at Hendon Athletic.

Ferryhill Community Hub were rocked by three early goals as they lost 3-0 at Ryhope Top House.

Houghton Town went down 1-0 at Easington HMS Victory, while Bowburn were beaten 5-1 by visitors Shotley Bridge Kings Head.

Newcomers Bearpark were thumped 8-0 at Sedgefield St Edmund’s in the Castle Insurance Alan Smith Trophy, but only in the later stages did the Premier side really take control.

Doubles from Brian Fairhurst, Glenn Donaldson and Stephen Flocked did the damage, with Andrew Beamson and Lewis Brown also netting. Gary Purvis was the pick of a resolute Bearpark side.

Washington Sandpiper were twice two goals ahead only to lose 7-3 at home to Newton Aycliffe WMC.

Two goals in the first 20 minutes had Aycliffe on the back foot, and a well-taken goal later put Sandpiper 3-1 ahead, but Corey Nicholson (2), Jordan Lavery, Kieran Megran (2), Liam Cooper, and Mark Brischuk guided the visitors home, scoring four times in the final 20 minutes against a tiring home side.

Ferryhill Dynamoes bagged the derby bragging rights with a 2-1 win over Ferryhill Celtic, thanks to Jonathan Mason’s double. Tom Olley starred.

Pelton RAOB turned on the style to demolish Sedgefield Social Club 6-1.

Durham County Seniors came from a goal down to outgun Whitehills 5-1 in the only Division One game.

Whitehills started brilliantly and deservedly led, but County grabbed the initiative to hit four goals before the break, adding a fifth in the second period. Mark Hughes plundered a hat-trick, backed by star man Josh Gregory and Ross Wilkinson.

Lumley Snooker Club secured all three points in Division Three, just getting the better of Quarrington Hill WMC in a 4-3 thriller.

Chris Dawson gave Snooker a 10th-minute lead, but two well-placed strikes had Quarrington ahead at the break.

Lumley levelled with Daniel Young’s long-range shot, but again Quarrington Hill caught the home side on the break and regained the lead.

Anth Jones beat the offside trap to slip home an equaliser at 3-3, then Snooker won it when Young notched a minute from time, following a defensive mistake.

Washington Jays lost 3-2 at home to Chester Garden Farm in a close-fought derby, with Bailey Hunter, Robbie Mawson and Tommt Wray giving Farm the edge.Tom Maddison starred.

Lumley came through a hard battle to defeat Durham Buffaloes Head 6-0 in Division Four, with home keeper Gregg Remmer producing a man-of-the-match display to keep the score down.

David Lucas grabbed a treble for Lumley, supported by Daniel Melvin, Ross Hughes and Scott Irwin. Brett Russell shone for the visitors.

Birtley Coach & Horses beat Durham Federation 7-2, inspired by four-goal Callum Turnbull. Aaron McEwen, James Ward and Liam Tannahill also struck.