Durham Sunday League: Burnside to face Durham County in winner-takes-all title decider

Philadelphia Over-40s (red/black) battle against Hartlepool Stag & Monkey
Philadelphia Over-40s (red/black) battle against Hartlepool Stag & Monkey
Have your say

The Third Division title will be decided with a final-day battle between promoted duo Durham County and Burnside WMC.

County, with one match left on May 1, lead on goal difference (eight better) from Burnside, who have two games to play.

Hetton New Inn battled from the first whistle to the last, but found Burnside WMC far too strong as they succumbed to a 9-0 defeat last week.

Craig Ellison, Elliot Cutts and Max Stoker all pounced for doubles, while Kriss Jobling, Jon Jordison and Lee Knight added to New Inn’s woes.

Durham County showed no mercy in a 12-0 demolition of Sedgefield SC.

Jack Carr and Joe Kerry both plundered hat-tricks, backed by Alex Hird’s double and furtther strikes from Jack Hodgkiss, sub Craig Mountain, Robson Brown and Joe Jenkinson.

Andrew Bartle was star man.

Quarrington Hill WMC rocked Chester Garden Farm RAR with a stunning 4-1 away triumph.

Ryan Johnson notched the home consolation, but hard-working Quarrington Hill deservedly claimed all three points.

Jack Walsh shone for Farm.

Champions Bowburn handed out a 9-0 beating to Durham Buffaloes Head in their final game in Division Four.

Lee Jennings, who bagged the first two goals, hit four to finish with a flourish, including a deft header from star man Philip Spencer’s cross and a right-foot drive from an acute angle.

Sean McGrail added a hat-trick, with Ben Uttley and Edward Carr, netting after a lovely passing move, also on target.

Aidan Herron stood out in vain for Buffs.

Ouston Cherry Tree moved within one win of the First Division title thanks to an impressive 3-1 victory at Durham County Seniors.

Ouston were dominant throughout, but for a 10-minute second-half spell, against a depleted Seniors side, who relined on good goalkeeping, a number of goal-line blocks and wayward finishing to keep the score down.

The breakthrough came midway through the first half as keeper Dom McMahon’s long kick was flicked on by Chad Brennan and slotted home by top scorer Andrew Clarkson.

Clarkson was the felled on the stroke of half-time, and skipper Mark Bailes scored from the resulting free-kick.

Ouston went 3-0 up on 65 minutes as sub Reece Hutchinson’s cross was too high for Clarkson, but his flicked header was helped home by Michael Ross.

Seniors pulled a goal back with a cracking finish, Kieron Bowes curling in a sweet strike from 15 yards, but Ouston saw out the victory.

Washington Sandpiper handed out a 5-0 defeat to visitors New Brancepeth WMC.

Star man Stephen Burns (2), Gary Allen, Philip Marriott and Wayne Hodgson notched.

Bede Lodge SC secured a 7-3 Second Division win at Bishop Middleham, after falling two goals behind.

Chris Dodds and sub Alex Wilson both pounced for doubles, with Paul Arkle, Jonathan Hodgson and John Kilgannon making it seven. David Duke starred for Bede.

Champions Ferryhill Celtic defeted Langley Park 4-3 to move 12 points clear of second-top Framwellgate Moor WMC.

Langley put in an excellent display, with plenty of possession and a host of chances, but Ferryhill stormed three goals up to all but settle the game.

Tony Rutter scored twice for Langley, with Stephen Mickle adding a penalty. Craig Bowman was the visitors’ top performer.

Luke Thompson, Jason White, Marco Linhart and Jay Smith all notched for Celtic, whose star man was Neil Bell.

Washington Cricket Club hit back from a goal down to win 3-1 at Langley Park on Tuesday.

Stand-in keeper Dean Sinclair gifted Stephen Clifford an opener for Langley, but the cricketers levelled before half-time as Graham Stephenson cut inside the area and was brought down for a penalty which Richard Logan converted.

Washington stormed in front as David Kirtley headed home from close range, then Liam Young made it 3-1 with a smart strike from 18 yards.

Chris Trueman shone for Washington, Craig Bowman for Langley.

Pelton RAOB fended off Chilton WMC to secure a 2-0 Premier Division success.

Chilton defended strongly, but tiredness, and a depleted squad, took its toll in the closing stages and late strikes from Michael Graver and Luke Kerry saw Buffs home.

Kenneth Ball stood out for Pelton, Curt Pickford for Chilton.

Brandon Sports Club defeated Sedgefield St Edmund’s 3-1 in a close-fought clash.

Lee Blades fired home a disputed penalty for Brandon’s opener, after Saints had run the show, but a well-taken John Maddison left-foot volley hauled Saints level before breakaway efforts from Blades and Oliver Graham steered the hosts home.

Dan Robinson shone for Brandon.

James Ellis had a day to savour, firing four goals to lead Sherburn Village to a convincing 5-1 success at Pelaw Grange Dogs.

Aaron Hinds also netted, while Scott Arnott was man of the match. Redshaw headed home a Stevens cross for Pelaw’s consolation.

On Tuesday, understrength Chilton WMC struggled against a well-organised Sherburn WMC, who ran out 4-2 winners.

Byron Brown bagged both for Chilton, with Curt Pickford again star man.

Newton Aycliffe’s understrength team had a comfortable 4-1 success at Hilda Park, thanks to Corey Nicholson, Connor Hughes, Dave Hanson and Sonny Andrews, making his comeback from a lengthy injury.

Chris Watson burst through impressively to equalise for battling Hilda at one point.

Pelton RAOB won 1-0 at Sacriston Cricket Club, Chris Winn netting in the final five minutes after sub Andrew Collinson hit the bar for the hosts.