Durham Sunday League: Burnside at the Max as Stoker kicks New Year off in style

Have your say

Burnside WMC enjoyed their first action of 2016, enhancing their Third Division promotion ambitions with a 5-2 home success against Lumley Snooker Club.

The sides produced a well-fought contest, even though the pitch cut up from the kick-off.

Burnside did not get going until Craig Ellison broke the deadlock with a precise finish from outside the box. Max Stoker quickly added a second goal on 25 minutes, and Burnside’s growing confidence saw Kriss Jobling make it 3-0 with a tidy little finish going into half-time.

Impressive goalkeeping from Sean Robinson kept Lumley at bay at the start of the second half, and led to a sucker punch fourth goal from Stoker.

Lumley capitalised on a few changes to pull a goal back with a neat header, and they added a second, after slack marking at the back to make it 4-2 at the break.

Stoker, who blazed a penalty over the bar at 4-1, helped Burnside secure all three points, though, as they continued to press and added a fifth goal when Ellison’s brilliant 25-yard free-kick, following a foul on Paul Gardner, flew into the top corner of the net.

Unbeaten Chester Garden Farm reached double figures to kick off 2016 in their derby showdown with Chester-le-Street AFC.

Matthew Goodyear was the aptly named hero, hitting a hat-trick to inspire a 12-1 rout, with Adam Goodyear, who also got on the mark, named man of the match.

Scott Howe, Tom Wray and Daniel Johnson all notched doubles, while Jake Chisholm and Liam Walsh completed the scoring.

Hetton New Inn played out a 2-2 draw away to Quarrington Hill WMC, with Jordan Knox’s well-taken double securing a two-goal lead before the hosts hit back, levelling with a 25-yard strike.

Michael Smith stood out for New Inn.

Washington Jays turned on the style to open the new year in fine fashion, handing out a 10-2 drubbing to hosts Sedgefield Social Club to leapfrog their hosts into third place, though the tie was tight at 4-2 until the visitors ran riot.

Adam Hill’s hat-trick and a double from star man Dan Robson led the way, with Anthony Fletcher, Reece Wanless, Karl Graham, Michael Alcock and Andrew Shotton also on target

There is a new top two in Division One, with Whitehills climbing into pole position and Ouston Cherry Tree also rising above Durham County Seniors to take second place.

Whitehills grabbed the new year derby honours against bottom club Chester Park Inn, but only just.

On a boggy pitch, Whitehills took the lead thanks to Chris Savage’s strike.

Chances proved hard to come by for both teams after that, though, with the best opportunities coming from set pieces.

Park Inn came close to a late equaliser when they hit the bar with a 20-yard free-kick.

Stephen Fisher was the pick of Whitehills’ side.

Ouston Cherry Tree edged home 2-1 at impressive New Brancepeth WMC.

After an even start to the game. Ouston made the breakthrough with a Michael Ross penalty. Brancepeth pushed for the equaliser in the remainder of the first half without success, and they turned around the better team, creating a series of chances and finally levelling when debutant Ryan Burton struck.

New Brancepeth had four great chances to take the lead, but they missed out each time and paid the price as, with three minutes left, Ouston got lucky to snatch victory. Substitute Josh Scott’s overhit cross almost crept in at the back post, instead bouncing back off the post onto Jon Morrison’s head from a yard out, and he could not miss.

Anthony Bussey’s outstanding performance was rewarded with the man of the match award.

Ferryhill Celtic grabbed an early goal and never let up as they cruised to a 5-0 home win against Pelton Crown to make it nine wins out of nine and see them three points clear in Division Two.

John Makepeace pounced for the opening strike and Celtic kept up the dominance to lead 3-0 by the break, thanks to efforts from Johnny Agar and Jay Smith.

The second half was much closer, but Celtic still struck twice more, with Shane Todd and Luke Thompson on target. Jason White starred for Ferryhill.

Bishop Middleham shrugged off the cobwebs of their long lay-off with a 4-1 success at Kelloe WMC – but it was a tight clash until the final 10 minutes.

The visitors struggled to get their game together early on, but they finally made the breakthrough in the derby showdown, when Jonathan Hornsby crossed for Damian Shanahan to score five minutes before the break.

Two minutes later, Steven Ferguson made it 2-0, firing in from 20 yards.

Battling bottom club Kelloe pulled one back from a corner in the second half, with Connor Ratton on target.

But Middleham put the game to bed with 15 minutes left, when Moody played a through ball for debutant Ellis Short to score at the second attempt.

Two minutes from time, Ferguson grabbed his second goal of the game, on the counter-attack, with Hornsby picking him out among three players waiting in the middle to score.

Steven Brooke starred for Kelloe, with Alex Mitton best for Bishop.

Premier outfit Sedgefield St Edmund’s had just enough in their locker to pip battling Third Division outfit Durham County 3-2 in the Stonebridge Inn League Cup, reaching the semi-finals.

Alex Hird and Jack Hodgkiss notched for County, who produced an excellent performance which just fell short of a real cup upset.

Steve Flockett and Lewis Brown had Saints two up, beforte the latter was sent off for retaliation just before the break. Flockett added a vital third goal in the second half.