Durham Sunday League: Buffs complete treble in smashing style to pip Houghton Town to the title

Have your say

Pelton RAOB enjoyed a weekend to savour as they completed a treble by landing the Premier Division title and the Castle Insurance Alan Smith Memorial Trophy.

First up for Buffs, who had already lifted the Ramside Hall Hotel Cup-Winners’ Cup, was the Alan Smith final against Sedgefield St Edmund’s at New Ferens Park,.

The 2-1 result flattered Sedgefield, whose keeper, John Brown, produced a string of outstanding saves to keep them in the game.

Saints thought they had got off to a great start, when, in the second minute, Pelton keeper Scott Cresswell dropped the ball on his goal line for Sedgefield’s Luke Kerry to force home.

But their celebrations were cut short when the assistant referee flagged for an infringement on the keeper.

Ten minutes later, Pelton’s Kenneth Ball was upended in the box, with the resulting spot-kick hammered home by Alex Peake.

Pelton remained in command, but the keeper’s impressive performance kept them at bay until the 80th minute, when Mark Addison’s strike doubled Buffs’ lead.

Sedgefield grabbed a consolation goal in the 88th minute, with Lewis Brown converting a penalty, but Pelton held firm to see out the win.

Sub Cameron Nichol starred for Buffs.

The title was decided last Sunday.

The equation was simple. Victory for either Newton Aycliffe or Pelton RAOB and the championship was theirs. A draw, and Houghton Town would be crowned champions if they won their final game against Sedgefield St Edmund’s.

Pelton, though, cruised to a 6-0 away success to settle the issue against an Wycliffe side reduced to 10 men when keeper Stephen Richardson was sent off.

Aycliffe took the game to Pelton in the first half, but they were exposed by the visitors’ speedy counter attacks and ended up 2-0 down at the break.

Aycliffe hit the woodwork twice before the decisive moment of the match arrived early in the second half when keeper Richardson gave away a penalty and was sent off for bringing down a Pelton forward.

Pelton scored from the spot-kick and, with their centre-forward now in goal, Aycliffe lost all their shape and Buffs scored three late goals to seal a convincing victory.

Man of the match Chris Winn stole the show with a clinical hat-trick to inspire Pelton, with Cameron Nichol (2) and Craig Mickle also on target.

Stuart Owen starred in vain for Aycliffe.

Houghton Town hit five second-half goals in their finale at home to St Edmund’s, despite the young visitors being level at the break.

Star man James Cook fired a brace, with Matthew Stephenson, Oliver Hotchkiss and an own goal sealing second place in the table for Houghton. Joe Peel stood out for Saints.

Houghton earlier set up their last-day shot at the title with a 2-0 Thursday night triumph at Sherburn Village, where Craig Hennis and star man Matthew Stephenson notched, with Niki Lawson claiming a clean sheet. Jamie Abbott shone for fourth-placed Sherburn.

Washington Cricket Club ended their Second Division season in confident mood, handing out an 8-0 defeat to hosts Pittington.

David Pybus and Stephen Conlin both notched doubles, with Jake Leighton, Gary McCartney, Alan Oliver and Chris Horn also on the scoresheet. Chris Truman was again the cricketers’ top performer.

Langley Park wound up their campaign with a fifth win in a row, 2-0 at home to Bishop Middleham.

Tony Rutter and Kieron Moralee grabbed the goals in a typical end-of-season encounter, with Liam Bowes star man. Alex Mitton stood out for Middleham.

In the last Division One game of the season, Washington Sandpiper beat Ferryhill Dynamoes 2-0.

Ferryhill Dynamoes’s match report for the following fixture:

Sandpiper went into the interval one goal up, and, at the death, they grabbed a killer second goal as Ferryhill pushed for an equaliser.

Alan Wilson and Craig Smith notched for Washington, whose star man was Stephen Burns.

David Gibson shone for Dynamoes.

Star man Iain Macpherson grabbed the consolation for Houghton Chilton Lodge as they crashed 7-1 to promoted Waldridge Park in their final fixture.

Washington Jays closed their Third Division season with a 4-0 home victory over Dubmire WMC.

Adam Hill capped a man-of-the-match performance with a well-taken hat-trick, supported by a Chris Cook strike.

Stephen Donkin was the pick for Dubmire.