Durham hand out six of the best to Shields

Have your say

DURHAM City eased their position near the bottom of the Ebac Northern League First Division when they hit South Shields for six at New Ferens Park last night.

The Mariners, entrenched at the basement, were first to strike as Jonny Wightman pounced on a loose ball outside the penalty area and his shot carried so much power that goalkeeper Gareth Young didn’t move.

The joy of the visitors, though, was shortlived and within four minutes Gary Shaw buried a good finish into the bottom corner of the net after being set free by Paul Dixon’s through ball.

Just before the interval, Shaw was this time the provider for Conor Winter to strike at the back post.

It was just about all over for the Mariners early in the second period as Scott Fenwick walked the ball into the net, taking advantage of abysmal defending.

Jack Walker celebrated scoring his first goal for the Citizens, completing a move by Shaw and James Oates, and City went nap when Winter found himself alone in the box. He lofted the ball over goalkeeper Tom Courtney and simply rolled it into the net.

With three minutes remaining, Shields’ misery was compounded with Oates converting a well-taken corner by Ollie Hodgkiss.

Norton and Stockton Ancients are also in a relegation battle but will be encouraged by their performance at The Brewery field despite losing to Spennymoor Town.

Mark Davison delivered a clinical finish into the bottom corner of the net from 25 yards and captain Daniel Moore headed home a Wayne Phillips’ corner after half an hour.

Moors are now just four points adrift of Darlington 1883, with two games in hand and amazingly have conceded a miserly eight goals in 18 games.

Following a five-goal hammering by Dunston UTS in the FA Carlsberg Vase, West Auckland Town are now gunning for the championship.

They moved into third place with a surprisingly easy victory over Hebburn Town.

Three goals in 15 minutes before the interval ended the South Tynesiders’ hopes. Mattie Moffat struck from a narrow angle after half an hour and when the Hebburn defence failed to clear a corner, Richard Paxton beat a couple of defenders before firing wide of goalkeeper Daniel Regan.

A minute before the break, Moffat was the provider for John Campbell to make it three and although Stephen Forster reduced the deficit after 74 minutes, a minute later the outstanding Moffat did the spadework for Paul Garthwaite to find the target.

Consett just edged Guisborough Town at Belle Vue Park. The only goal came in the 44th minute when substitute Matthew Slocombe, who had only been on the field for 10 minutes, struck at the back post following a deep cross from Michael Mackay.

Seaham Red Star are up to fifth in Division Two after seeing off a strong challenge from Washington.

A minute into the second period, Alan Pegram made progress before crashing the ball past goalkeeper Chris Bannon, who was beaten again on 75 minutes as Craig Malley headed into the net.

Birtley Town, too close to the bottom for comfort, gave a good account in holding promotion contenders Darlington RA to a draw. Stephen Cheeseman fired RA ahead on the hour mark and 10 minutes from time Matthew Hornsby levelled with a long-range effort.

Daniel Palmer (og), Andrew Appleby and Daniel Smart, who was later sent off, earned Jarrow Roofing a comfortable victory at home to Stokesley SC. Roofing are now in the top six, just three points outside the last promotion place.

After leading at the interval courtesy of Jordan Larty and Abu Saleem, Whickham succumbed to Crook Town whose second-half rally was rewarded with goals by Warren Byrne (2) and Chris Wallace. Crook are now third-top – their highest rating of the season.

H A crowd of 527 at Hillheads saw Whitley Bay defeat Blyth Spartans 2-0 in the Northumberland Senior Cup quarter-final replay. Paul Chow and Michael McMullen were the scorers.