Durham fade away after bright start at Penrith

Have your say

DESPITE scoring first and dominating the opening half, Durham City went down 3-1 at Penrith last night in the Ebac Northern League First Division.

The Citizens went ahead on 31 minutes when a long ball out of defence found Craig Ellison, who calmly slotted the ball into the net.

Penrith were flattered to be losing by just one goal going into the second half but they turned the tables on City by scoring three times in 17 minutes.

Steven Rigg headed in a corner on 48 minutes and Martin Coleman made it 2-1, again with a header before Rigg kept his cool for his second goal of the night.

With the score at 3-1, Durham had Stephen Harrison sent off and in separate incidents Penrith’s Dean Crozier and Brandon Gwinnutt also made early exits.

Sunderland RCA leaked a goal after just 13 minutes but it wasn’t until just before the end that Guisborough Town cemented a 3-0 victory at Meadow Park.

Daniel Johnson broke clear and blasted the ball past goalkeeper Jonathan Carmichael but throughout the match there was little to choose between the sides.

RCA’s Callum Patton and Gavin Barton went close to equalising before Guisborough made it two as Johnson beat the offside trap in the 87th minute. Two minutes later Adam Gell pounced on a defensive mistake to fire into the net from 40 yards.

West Auckland, the only unbeaten side, moved into fourth place with victory over Billingham Synthonia which was easier than the 2-1 scoreline suggests.

After only four minutes a corner by Dennis Knight was headed in by Daryl Hall and 10 minutes later John Campbell was sent clear and delivered a strong drive into the bottom corner of the net giving Synners’ goalkeeper Sebastian Furness no chance.

West comfortably protected a two-goal lead and the game was into added time as Chris Hughes converted a penalty, awarded after he had been brought down.

There’s still no respite for Hebburn Town, the only side yet to win. They lost 4-1 to fourth-from-basement Morpeth Town who scored three times in nine first-half minutes with Shaun Taylor (2) and Andrew Keenan beating goalkeeper Gary Rogers, who was called out of retirement to make his seasonal debut.

Marc Lancaster added a fourth goal before Shaun Henderson conceded an only goal for Hebburn’s single success.

Dunston UTS’s unbeaten sequence was ended at Marske United where they suffered a double blow after only 14 minutes.

Danny Craggs was sent off for handling the ball and John Alexander converted the spot-kick.

Lewis Tidy quickly added a second goal and although 10-man Dunston hit back with a clinical finish from Jonny Wightman, they failed to find an equaliser and in added time Josh McDonald sealed their fate.

In Division Two, Chester-le-Street moved up to halfway in the table with victory over Whickham, who at the weekend reached the Third Round of the FA Carlsberg Vase.

Damien Stevens and Tony Healer had the Cestrians two goals up inside 27 minutes but it was all to play for when Mark Fitzpatrick netted for the Glebemen in the 69th minute.

Both teams then had players sent off in separate incidents. Chester le Street’s Kevin Dixon and Rudi Nellis (Whickham) were both red-carded.

Jarrow Roofing, with several games in hand, are up to seventh after they overcame having keeper Dan Regan sent off as early as the sixth minute.

Outfield player Danny Carson took over and his first task was to pick the ball out of the net from Mattie Tymon’s spot-kick.

Stephen Young went in goal for the second half and within seven minutes of the restart, Carson was the provider for Anth Myers to volley in the equaliser.

A neat move involving Dean Nicholson and Paul Gardiner opened up the opportunity for Darren Reay to strike the winning goal.

H On Saturday, Spennymoor Town fought out a goalless draw at Winsford United but they were not short of goals in last night’s FA Carlsberg Vase Second Round replay at The Brewery field.

Jason Ainsley’s side romped to a 7-0 victory as the goals flowed from Liam Henderson, with a hat-trick, Andy Johnson, Chris Mason, Daniel Moore and Daniel Taylor.

Moors have home advantage over Bridlington Town on December 7.

H Only one ENL game is scheduled for tonight when Crook Town aim to move away from near the bottom of the table by defeating Newton Aycliffe at Millfield.

Three points will lift enable Crook to leapfrog three teams, including Sunderland RCA.

Esh Winning face a difficult task at Second Division leaders North Shields in the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup while Brandon United are also the underdogs at second-top Heaton Stannington. In the other tie, Willington aim to make home advantage count against Darlington RA.