Durham City secure away boost

Have your say

MANAGER Adam Furness got the response he craved following a disappointing performance at the weekend, when Durham City won 2-0 at high-flying Hebburn Town 2-0 in the Second Round of the Durham Challenge Cup last night.

The Citizens went ahead after 24 minutes when Conor Winter advanced into the box and crossed to the back post, leaving Paul Dixon with a simple tap-in.

Shortly afterwards, they were awarded a penalty when Hebburn’s Chris Jewels and Winter challenged for the ball.

When Winter went down the referee immediately pointed to the spot and although Hebburn goalkeeper Dan Regan tipped the ball onto the post with his left hand, he couldn’t prevent it from entering the net via a post.

Worse was to follow for Hebburn when Callum Charlton was shown a second yellow card on the stroke of half-time.

City comfortably controlled the second period and were never troubled by Hebburn’s 10 men although just before the end goalkeeper Gareth Young made a smart save to deny Stuart Nicholson.

Seaham Red Star edged Jarrow Roofing 3-2 on penalties after the sides had shared four goals following extra-time.

Anthony Myers and Andrew Appleby fired Roofing into a two-goal half-time lead but after Paul Kane cut the deficit with a deflected shot, Channon North levelled with a close-range strike.

There were no further goals and Seaham reached the next round as Kane, Kris Goss and Adam Drysdale scored from the spot with Jonathan Carmichael and Keith Oliver finding the target for Richie McLoughlin’s side.

Sunderland RCA’s tie with Bishop Auckland was postponed because Meadow Park was waterlogged while the tie between West Auckland Town and Spennymoor Town lasted only five minutes. Following a delay because of a floodlight failure, the referee abandoned the game.

In the Ebac Northern League First Division, South Shields remain bottom after going down 2-0 to Ashington, with both goals from Andrew Johnson.

The first came on 47 minutes when Liam Atkin fired in a shot which was parried by Mariners’ goalkeeper James Winter and Johnson pounced from close range.

Midway through the second period, Johnson gave Winter no chance with an excellent strike from the edge of the box.

Two teams battling against relegation shared the points in Cumbria. Billingham Town built up a two-goal cushion with a brace from Harrison Davies and after Martin Coleman delivered a direct free-kick, Penrith levelled with a Matthew Read penalty.

In Division Two, Tow Law Town maintained their impressive away form when they defeated Birtley Town. It took an hour for the deadlock to be broken as Stephen Turnbull’s free-kick from outside the penalty area beat the wall and Birtley goalkeeper Andrew Mallinson.

Within two minutes, Birtley were trailing by a couple of goals following Daniel Wilson’s clinical finish from 18 yards.

Darlington RA rekindled their promotion drive when they too won by a 2-0 margin at Thornaby. Martin Butterworth tapped in on three minutes and another 70 minutes elapsed before Jamie Muir beat Thornaby goalkeeper Nick Farrell from the penalty spot.

H Newcastle United Reserves went out of the Northumberland FA Senior Cup 3-2 to Bedlington Terriers, whose marksmen were Mark Convery, Mark Doninger and Richard Pell. Shane Ferguson and JJ Hooper replied for the Magpies in front of a 375 crowd at Dr Pitt Welfare Park.