Durham Alliance League: Whitehill cup dreams dashed by Bishops in dramatic thriller

Have your say

WHITEHILL saw their dreams of glory in the Washington Aged Peoples Trophy dashed by a dramatic quarter-final defeat at Bishop Auckland Reserves.

Both sides went into the tie in good form, and their first meeting since August proved to be an epic, with Bishops squeezing home 4-3 after extra time.

The pace was maintained throughout an exhilarating extra half hour

Lewis Dunn crossed for Shaun Pickford to tap home from three yards for Bishops’ opener, but the visitors levelled with a powerful, long-range effort, and then took the lead after a goalmouth scramble.

Man of the match Connor McEvoy pulled the scores level with a stunning strike from 20 yards on his birthday, but the Chester-le-Street side regained the lead at 3-2, scoring from the spot after Lewis Fitzgerald was controversially adjudged to have handled from a free-kick.

Bishops pushed hard for a leveller, but it looked like eluding them until, with just seconds to go, keeper Mark Connell was sent forward for a corner and sensationally knocked home a waist-high volley from 10 yards to send the tie to extra time.

The pace was maintained throughout an exhilarating extra half hour, with both sides having chances before Bishops clinched victory when a run and cross from Tyler Thompson found leading scorer Dunn’s head, to loop into the far corner of the net for a 4-3 success.

Adam Quigley stood out for Whitehill.

Coundon & Leeholme edged home 2-1 in a very competitive tie away to Shildon Reserves.

The Railwaymen could not capitalise on their early pressure and Coundon made them pay, storming ahead when a free-kick was headed home at the back post by Craig Robson.

Man of the match Steven Johnson doubled the Coundon lead in the second half, but gallant Shildon kept scrapping away and the game was put back in the balance when James Huntley got one back with 11 minutes to go.

Try as they might, though, Shildon could not find an equaliser, despite a great effort from star man Philip Hayes.

Horsley Hill stunned title-chasing Wallsend Town with an 8-1 romp in their quarter-final.

Levi Collins’ quickfire brace had Horsley off to the ideal start, and Adam Sharp brilliantly headed a third from some great build-up play.

Wide man Adam Bell’s double early in the second period killed off Wallsend, though Derek Graham did bag a consolation.

The South Shields side made it eight with three late goals, Sharp completing his hat-trick and sub Andrew Taylor also getting in on the act.

Sedgefield NetPark went down 3-0 after extra time as Hartlepool Reserves secured a third semi-final date this season.

After 90 goalless minutes, with Sedgefield denied a last-gasp penalty, Lewis Murohy netted twice in a minute to put Hartlepool in charge. Ross Kidson then went on a 25-yard run before slotting home a killer third goal.

Wheatley Hill WMC cruised to a 10-0 league win in a one-sided clash with lowly visitors Ferryhill Town.

The goals were shared between four players, with the pick of the scorers being the outstanding Ian Watson, who grabbed four goals.

Shaun Jackson helped himself to a hat-trick, while Philip Hickman added a brace and Lliam Cockerill completed the scoring on a day for Ferryhill to forget.

Ebchester Consett Reserves made a perfect start, netting in just the third minute, on the way to beating visitors Brandon United Reserves 5-2.

Daniel Parker produced a good finish for the opening goal from Stephen Agnew’s through pass, then Parker turned provider for Agnew to make it 2-0.

Adam Laidlaw pulled one back, but Parker restored the two-goal lead early in the second half. Andrew Sowerby’s corner curled straight in as Brandon again rallied, but Ebchester sealed the points with two further strikes, as Richie Parkin ghosted past three defenders to slot home then got lucky when he tried to cross but shinned the ball in at the back post.