Durham Alliance League: Super sub Hope sparks Hylton success

Have your say

HYLTON Sports Club climbed into sixth place after defeating battling Brandon United Reserves 4-1.

The return of Gavin Ackroyd, at the heart of the defence, after a long lay-off, boosted Hylton, despite five first-teamers being absent.

Hylton started the brighter, with wingers Alan Golightly and Lewis Herron giving Brandon’s defence a torrid time.

The deadlock was broken when Mark Catcheside dribbled the ball to the edge of the box and sent in a shot which was deflected in off a luckless defender.

Brandon worked hard and hauled themselves level, capitalising on a defensive mistake, with Daniel McDonough finishing clinically.

Hylton’s management team were not happy and made changes, which ultimately proved the key to the hosts’ second-half domination.

Liam Wooton’s pace and trickery set up Martin Hope to put Hylton in front, but several chances went begging before the Wearsiders increased their lead to 3-1, Hope brilliantly curling a free-kick on the edge of the box into the top corner of Keiran Russell’s net.

Hylton finished on top, with Billy Harrison adding a fourth, lobbing the keeper from 25 yards.

Shildon Reserves secured a 3-1 victory at Sherburn Village WMC.

Very windy conditions made life very difficult for both teams, but Sherburn started the brighter. Nicky Marley had a close-range shot well-saved and what looked a clear penalty turned down soon after. Marley also hit the bar just before the interval.

Shildon took control on the restart, with Jack Carr’s well-taken goal finally making the breakthrough.

Andrew Bartle doubled the lead from the penalty spot, after the ball his Andrew Chester’s arm, but Marley flicked on Omar Mustafa’s ball for Garry Dodds to pull one back from 20 yards.

Shildon sealed the points when Steve Clifford added a third goal 10 minutes from time

Dan Rooney starred for Sherburn.

Wheatley Hill WMC enjoyed a fine 2-1 victory at Hartlepool Reserves. Lliam Cockerill and Richard Carr did the damage for the visitors, with man of the match keeper Russell Blenkinsop beaten only by a Daniel Cartwright effort.

Horsley Hill dominated throughout a 6-1 success at Ferryhill Town to maintain their impressive run near the top of the table.

Shane Snaith lobbed a wonderful 35-yard strike over the keeper fro Ferryhill’s consolation, as Levi Collins’ treble steered Horsley home. Star man Tom West and Frankie Hucks were also among the goals for the South Tynesiders.

Keeper Luke Brown was outstanding for Town.