Durham Alliance League: Six-hitters Whitehill reach century in style

Have your say

WHITEHILL reached their century of league goals with a convincing victory in their last match of the season.

The Chester-le-Street side clinched fourth place in the process after demolishing Ebchester Consett Reserves 6-2 at Chester Moor Park.

But Ebchester tried to spoil the party and went ahead in the 12th minute, Dan Parker finishing off at the back post after a free-kick was fired across the box.

Whitehill got back on level terms on 21 minutes when Craig Mickle was brought down in the box and he stepped up to score from the penalty spot, with the team’s 100th league goal of the season.

On 38 minutes, after good work by Aaron Wright, the ball fell to Cameron Nichol, who fired Whitehill into a 2-1 lead.

Ebchester deservedly got level with a great finish from Mark Longstaff, but the pivotal moment in the game arrived on the hour mark when Mickle was brought down in the box by Ebchester keeper Grant Scott, who give away another penalty and was also sent off.

Man of the match Mickle stepped up to convert for a 3-2 lead, and there was no stopping the hosts. On 71 minutes, Stephen Marriott headed in his first goal of the season, then Stephen Wood slotted home a fifth in the 88th minute.

The last word went to Wright, who chipped the keeper right on time, with a sixth home goal.

Chris Page stood out for Ebchester.

Sherburn Village WMC ended their campaign on a high, romping to a 4-0 victory at Bishop Auckland Reserves.

Bishops were guilty of some sloppy play against Sherburn, who capitalised to storm into a 3-0 interval advantage.

The home side battled back with an improved second-half display but were limited to half-chances and Sherburn added a killer fourth goal.

Alex Hird, Andrew Chester, Nick Marley and Scott Arnott were all among the goals for Sherburn, whose stamina was keeper James Winter. Connor McEvoy stood out for Bishops.

Champions Coundon & Leeholme wrapped up their league campaign with three matches in five days, losing the first but rallying to win the final two.

Horsley Hill, who finished the season as runners-up, capitalised on a depleted Coundon side to snatch a 3-2 away victory in their final match.

The South Tyneside outfit had the majority of possession and some Coundon mistakes helped the visitors into a three-goal half-time lead, with Frankie Hucks, Adam Henson and Dan Symington all on target.

Coundon started the second half much stronger and sub Christopher Howe scored twice to give them hope of a point, but Horsley held on.

Liam Whitworth shone for Coundon, with Aaron Williams best for Hill.

On Monday night, Coundon outgunned proved too strong for Wheatley Hill WMC, running out 4-0 victors.

Doubles from Scott Hastie and Ben Collinson did the damage, with Liam Whitworth again man of the match. Keeper Russell Blenkinsop impressed in goal for Wheatley.

Coundon also triumphed on Wednesday, winning 3-0 at Bishop Auckland Reserves, whose man of the match was Connor McEvoy.

Brandon United Reserves fielded a very young side for their last game of the season and did well to hold Wallsend Town to only one down at half-time.

Wallsend’s experience shone through in the second half, though, and the Tynesiders, who finished third in the table, ran in another five goals to end up 6-0 winners.

Gavin Jones bagged a treble for Wallsend, backed by Derek Graham, Connor Garnett and Chris Garwood.

Player of the season Jay Smith ended the campaign on a high, voted as Brandon’s man of the match

The season finishes tomorrow, with Coundon & Leeholme up against Horsley Hill in the League Challenge Cup final at Brandon United (11am). The final league match sees Ebchester Consett Reserves hosting Hartlepool Reserves at 2pm.