Durham Alliance League: Seven-up Whitehill’s Wray of hope

editorial image
Have your say

WHITEHILL produced a slick, all-round performance to run out 7-1 victors away to lowly Ferryhill Town.

Hat-tricks from Thomas Wray and Cameron Nichol led the way for the visitors with David Henderson also on target in a lively display, with Matthew Smith man of the match.

Debutant Tom Orton was star man for Town, whose goal was a spectacular 20-yard screamer with the outside of the boot from Shane Snaith which left keeper Jack Taylor helpless.

Skipper James Huntley fired a brilliant hat-trick to lead Shildon Reserves home 5-1 against lowly Birtley.

After a tight opening, man of the match Huntley made the breakthrough, then further efforts from Cameron Wilkinson and Stephen Clifford had them three up by half-time.

Huntley struck twice more for a 5-0 lead, with never-say-die Birtley bagging a consolation, netted by Paul Carlton.

Shildon enjoyed debut performances from three 16-year-olds – Connor Storey, James Blackmore and Robbie Anderson – with Storey and Blackmore both hitting the woodwork and the former also having a goal unluckily chalked off.

Bishop Auckland Reserves secured their ninth win of the campaign, deservedly sinking Hartlepool Reserves 3-1.

Bishops led from the fifth minute, when Liam Bain’s well-placed reverse pass was met by a perfectly timed diagonal run by Shaun Pickford, who slotted home.

Hartlepool levelled when the returning Thomas Iley headed a free-kick into his own net, but Bishops won it with two second-half strikes.

Sub Alex Cantwell, earlier denied by a stunning save from star man Ryan Harrisskitt, blasted through the keeper’s legs, then star man Pickford added a fine second.

The battle of the top two saw Horsley Hill and leaders Wallsend Town share the spoils in a 3-3 draw.

Hill’s youngster found it tough going against the powerful visitors,m but Levi Collins’ double and an excellent 30-yard free-kick by Kyle Houshby secured their point. Adam Bell starred.

The only other game to get the green light saw Ebchester Consett Reserves mauled 10-1 away to Darlington Burns in the Weardale Charity Cup second round.

Paul James grabbed the consolation.