Durham Alliance League: Moody blues for Stephen as Hylton blow leads

Hylton Sports Club (blue) go close against Horsley Hill last week. Picture by Kevin Brady
Hylton Sports Club (blue) go close against Horsley Hill last week. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

HYLTON Sports Club rued their failure to turn a positive performance into all three points at home to second-top Horsley Hill.

Stephen Moody fired the Wearsiders in front after 15 minutes and they looked like hanging on to the lead until the break, with Horsley’s attractive football failing to create any clear chances.

But the South Tynesiders, whose marksmen were Dan Evans and Jake Bell, did equalise right on half-time.

New boy Scott Mallaburn’s introduction gave Hylton a different dimension in the second half and he made an immediate impact with a Gareth Bale-style run before unselfishly squaring the ball for Moody to tap home for a 2-1 lead.

Hylton were denied two strong penalty claims, and had most of the play, but the visitors rallied to snatch a point late on, heading home a corner.

Murton’s misery continued with a 2-1 defeat at Hartlepool Reserves, despite a spirited display from the lowly visitors.

Murton made the perfect start, Paul Robinson firing a fifth-minute opener, latching onto a poor back pass to coolly slot home.

Murton came under the cosh in the second period, and David Thompson headed home a corner to level matters before Hartlepool clinched victory, Paul Donaghy sprinting past two defenders before driving home into the bottom corner.

Sherburn Village WMC edged a 1-0 success in windy conditions at Ebchester Consett Reserves.

Centre-back Craig Jackson came up with the only goal, slamming home a great strike from the edge of the box which left man of the match keeper Grant Scott helpless.

Coundon & Leeholme produced some excellent football on the way to comfortably dismissing hosts Ferryhill Town 5-1.

Kurt Matthews stole the show with a clinical hat-trick, backed by Darren Griffiths and Chris Howe, with Craig Bowmer converting a fine Shane Snaith free-kick for Town’s consolation.

Paul Barker starred for Coundon, Mathew Jackson for Ferryhill.

Shildon Reserves defeated Brandon United Reserves 3-1 at the Bobby Robson Centre in Ushaw Moor.

Stephen Clifford made the breakthrough against the run of play, and Michael Webster added a second.

Daniel Hawkes, just 16, gave Shildon a further boost on the restart, but Brandon pulled one back through Robson Brown. The hosts, though, sealed the spoils with a first senior goal from lively youngster Connor Storey.

Ben Pearson stood out for United, giving the home defence a torrid time.