Durham Alliance League: Martin’s high Hope for Hylton

Hylton Sports Club  (blue) battle Murton in a recent Durham Alliance League clash
Hylton Sports Club (blue) battle Murton in a recent Durham Alliance League clash
Have your say

HYLTON Sports Club enjoyed a good day out as they marched into the Clem Smith Bowl quarter-finals with a 6-1 drubbing of Ebchester Consett Reserves.

Martin Hope stole the show with a well-taken hat-trick for the visitors, for whom Stephen Moody added a double and Liam Wooton came off the bench to add to Ebchester’s woes.

Stephen Agnew hit the home consolation, with Chris Page their man of the match. Alan Golightly stood out for Hylton, who were reduced to 10 men when sub Kieron Petre was dismissed for two bookable offences.

Sherburn Village WMC made good progress in the Auckland Charity Cup, outgunning Shildon Railway 4-2, handing their visitors a first defeat in eight games.

David Pritchard made two outstanding saves to deny Shildon before the home side made the breakthrough, Ryan Bell finishing off a dangerous ball across the box.

Danny Thomas quickly levelled with a great strike, and Shildon were in front shortly after half-time, Matthew Brown heading home a corner.

Sherburn equalised when Andrew Chester slotted home, after a great ball down the right, and they kept pushing, finally going ahead when Scott Arnott fired home after a great link-up with Garry Dodds. Bell made it safe at 4-2 after Karl Hutchinson turned to slide a through pass into his path.

Coundon & Leeholme ran out convincing 6-1 winners against Witton Park, who had a man sent off in the 25th minute.

Paul Bailes converted the resulting penalty, and it was 3-0 by the break, with Ian Maddison and Ben Collinson netting.

Witton fought well to pull one back, but Mark Wood, Kurt Mathews and Maddison restored Coundon’s dominance.

In the league, Murton endured a nightmare as visitors Bishop Auckland Reserves dominated from start to finish in an 8-1 trouncing.

Three early goals set the pace. Even when Lee Doyle pulled the game back to 3-1, the hosts were never really in it and Bishops responded by making it 4-1 before half-time.

A lack of discipline cost Murton when they were reduced to 10 men, with Sean Wilson red-carded, and the visitors capitalised to hit four more goals. Sub Alex Cantwell (3), Lewis Dunn (2), Jordan Maughan (2) and Shaun Pickford struck for Bishops. Keeper Graeme Swinbourne stood out for Murton.

Wheatley Hill WMC started against just 10 men and made Brandon United Reserves pay as they climbed to fifth place, with Jonathan Briggs breaking the deadlock.

Lee Westgarth added a second after a free-kick hit the bar and Wheatley ran out comfortable 5-1 winners, with visiting keeper Bryan Potts denying an even bigger winning margin.

Briggs ended up with a hat-trick, while Shaun Jackson also scored and Chris Boyle netted Brandon’s consolation.

David Jackson and Martin Sowerby were the respective star men.

Shildon Reserves cruised home 6-1 at Ferryhill Town, with everything going through star man Andrew Bartle.

Two-goal Michael Webster, Michael Nicol, Iain Race, Stephen Clifford and sub John Harper did the damage, with Shane Snaith replying. Nick Pattison starred for Town.

Birtley found hosts Sedgefield NetPark too hot to handle in a 5-1 away defeat. Adam Strong’s early double had Birtley on the back foot, but he fired a hat-trick chance against the bar from a first-half penalty.

Jonathan Swift rallied Birtley, converting a spot-kick after Lee Butterworth handled in the box, but their hopes were dashed as Anthony Smyth finished well on the break for Sedgefield’s third. Brian Fairhurst (penalty) and Martyn Musgrave sealed Birtley’s fate.

Matt Telford shone for Birtley.

Derek Graham maintained his prolific form with a brace as Wallsend Town moved top, thanks to a 4-3 win over Hartlepool Reserves. Gary Hall and Paul Gordon also struck, with Lewis Murphy (2) and Joe Evans replying.