Durham Alliance League: Dale double inspires Murton

Hylton SC (blue) take on Murton in the Durham Alliance League last week
Hylton SC (blue) take on Murton in the Durham Alliance League last week
Have your say

MURTON rocked the title dreams of Hylton Sports Club by recording an impressive 5-1 away success.

Hylton were fired up for the game, having been held to a draw in their previous outing, but Murton had a different outlook and ran out sensational winners to climb to 12th place on the back of only their fourth win of the campaign.

Both teams passed the ball well, with Murton going closest to an opener, hitting the bar from 20 yards.

Murton sensed blood and two quick goals deflated Hylton.

Andrew Kibble got one back before the break, but Murton kept plugging away, breaking up play well and capitalising on Hylton’s poor performance.

Joint manager Anth Carter even donned his boots to try to rally the home side, but the task was well out of reach from reach.

John Dale’s double led the way for Murton, whose confidence levels will be massively boosted by their performance, while Anthony Cowie, Josh Lincoln and Matthew Mustard also pounced.

Sherburn Village WMC edged a 1-0 win at home to Sedgefield NetPark in very windy conditions.

Joe Simpson had a fine strike turned around the post before the only goal arrived on 31 minutes. Andrew Chester won the ball with a great tackle in midfield and played a neat ball through for Omar Mustafa, who slotted home.

Scott Arnott and Peter Ryder went close before Mustafa hit the post, but one goal proved enough.

Whitehill succumbed 4-2 at Horsley Hill, who moved up to fifth place thanks to their eighth win in 11 league matches.

Whitehill had a strong wind advantage in the first half but only managed a single goal, with Stephen Wood left unmarked to tap home from six yards for the Chester-le-Street side.

Horsley, though, took control on the restart, with Daniel Evans, Chris Watson, Adam Bell and Cameron Foster all notching before Cameron Nichol grabbed a late consolation.

Shildon Reserves cruised to a 7-1 success against never-say-die Ferryhill Town, who fought gamely until the final whistle.

Shane Snaith netted for Town, but doubles from Stephen Clifford, Joe Kerry and Michael Webster inspired the home side, who are growing in confidence following a poor start. James Huntley also struck.

Coundon & Leeholme consolidated top spot with a resounding 8-0 victory away to Ebchester Consett Reserves.

Two up in 20 minutes, they added six more goals after the interval to run out convincing winners, taking their goal tally to 51 in 12 league games.

Paul Bailes and Steven Johnson both plundered hat-tricks, with Chris Howe and Ian Maddison also on target.

Bishop Auckland Reserves led high-flying hosts Wallsend Town at the interval, but were rocked by the Tynesiders’ second-half dominance as they slumped to a 5-1 defeat.

Jake Findlay gave Bishops the lead, after Gavin Jones missed an early Wallsend penalty, but the hosts won the day thanks to Chris Garwood, Derek Graham and a hat-trick from Gary Jones.

Birtley also lost 5-1 away from home, at Hartlepool Reserves, again after leading when Matthew Baldwin shot through the home keeper’s legs.

Lewis Murphy’s double against the run of play, turned the tide for Pool, who ran out comfortable winners with second-half efforts from Dean Wright, Ross Kidson and Anthony Readman.