Durham Alliance League: Coundon & Leeholme crowned champions, but Pool deny them quadruple

Have your say

COUNDON & Leeholme are celebrating their second championship success in three years.

Still unbeaten, after 23 of their 26 league matches, Coundon clinched the title thanks to last weekend’s hard-fought 1-0 victory at third-top Wallsend Town.

Sean Johnson did the damage, capping a man-of-the-match performance with the only goal in a tight showdown.

On Monday night, Coundon added icing to the cake, extending their lead over likely runners-up Horsley Hill to seven points with a 2-1 victory at home to Sherburn Village WMC.

Sherburn had keeper David Pritchard sent off, but they made Coundon scrap all the way for the victory, which came courtesy of goals from Kurt Matthews and Ben Collinson, with star man Nick Marley responding.

Liam Whitworth was man of the match for Coundon.

Coundon, though, could not make it a fourth piece of silverware in midweek when Hartlepool Reserves rocked them with a 3-1 victory in the Washington Aged Peoples Trophy final at Brandon.

Coundon had Darren Simpson sent off, and, though Steven Johnson notched in the 83rd minute, they were already three goals down to first-half efforts from Lewis Murphy (2) and Jake Larkin for impressive Pool.

Murton have endured a disappointing season, brightened only by their improvement in the second half of the campaign and victory in the Mark Blake Memorial Trophy final.

They wrapped up 2014/15 with a home defeat, though they probably deserved to be closer than the 5-2 loss to Ebchester Consett Reserves suggests.

Ebchester were organised and had plenty of threat going forward, duly romping to a five-goal lead, as Stephen Agnew’s double led the way.

Michael Hannant, Daniel Parker and Dan Quine also struck as Ebchester dominated, but Murton rallied to grab a couple of consolation goals, with Mark Ruddock and John Llewellyn on target.

Connor Williams stood out for Murton, with Jonny Parkin best for the visitors.

Fifth-placed Wheatley Hill WMC succumbed 5-3 to Shildon Reserves in their final home match.

The Railwaymen started the match much better than the home side and were three goals in front at half-time the goals, courtesy of efforts from Connor Brown, Joe Kerry and man of the match Craig Mountain.

After the break, the home team got back into the game with two quick goals from Lee Westgarth and sub Brett Carr, only to allow Shildon to restore their two-goal advantage through the impressive Connor Storey.

Sub Jack Hart pulled one back for Hill before Brown scored his second to end the scoring on a day when Shildon got what they deserved.

Rob Mawson stood out for Wheatley.

Ferryhill Town closed their season on a high, with a comfortable 5-0 victory at Birtley as they recorded their sixth league win.

Cris Cant stole the show for the visitors with a memorable four-goal haul, while Karl Taylorson also got on the scoresheet. Nick Pattison was man of the match for Town, while Jonathan Swift starred for Birtley.

Horsley Hill shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw at Hartlepool Reserves.

Sean Scotter hit Horsley’s post before making the breakthrough, heading home Carl O’Sullivan’s cross, but Horsley’s persistence paid off with a 75th-minute leveller, when a corner fell to Luke Pattison, at the back post, who drilled his shot past keeper Ryan Harrisskitt.

The visitors had Cameron Foster sent off late on, for a second bookable offence, but they held on for their draw. Aaron Williams starred for Horsley, who are rumoured to be quitting the league at the end of the season and decamping to Boldon CA in the Wearside League.

On Monday night, Ebchester Consett Reserves were swamped 6-2 by visitors Wallsend Town, with Stephen Agnew and Mark Longstaff responding to strikes from Gavin Jones (2), Derek Graham (2), Paul Bell and Connor Brown.

Wallsend Town were also in action on Wednesday, but were thumped 5-0 at Shildon Reserves, who had Craig Mountain, Connor Brown, Connor Storey, Jordan Lee and sub David Gourley on target.