Durham Alliance League: Arnott sparks Sherburn, but Whitehill net midweek revenge

Have your say

SHERBURN Village WMC produced an outstanding all-round performance to end form side Whitehill’s nine-game unbeaten run.

Nicky Marley’s back flick header was cleared off the line by Whitehill, who had to make an early change when keeper Jack Taylor fell awkwardly following a goalmouth scramble..

Murton were comfortably the better team over the course of the game

Marley had another header cleared off the liner by Matty Smith before the visitors took the lead with a great bit of individual skill by Craig Mickle, whose 20-yard shot nestled into the corner of Sherburn’s net.

Sherburn finally levelled on 56 minutes after Alex Hird was brought down just outside the box, with Scott Arnott slamming home his free-kick into the bottom corner.

Four minutes later, from an identical position, Arnott beautifully curled his shot around the wall and into the top right corner to put Sherburn 2-1 up.

It was three on 68 when a ball over the top by man of the match Arnott saw Marley run through the defence to latch on to the ball and slam home.

Whitehill pressed hard for a way back, with Chris Martin heading just over and keeper Craig Jackson making an excellent save, but Sherburn saw the game out for a breathtaking win.

Murton bounced back from their first defeat of 2015 to convincingly beat Sedgefield NetPark 3-2.

Murton were comfortably the better team over the course of the game, taking the lead from the spot midway through the first half via Matthew Mustard after Kyle Morris was pulled back.

Murton weathered a brief storm after the goal and took control again before adding a second goal on the hour, with Morris marking an excellent debut with a fine goal.

Danny Naylor topped off a man-of-the-match performance with his first goal for the club on 75 minutes to make it three.

Hopes of a clean sheet were dashed when Mustard amazingly chested through his own net from 12 yards.

Sedgefield made the scoreline tight when Andew Blackburn converted a penalty a minute from time, however the result was never in doubt.

Wheatley Hill WMC produced a clinical performance to despatch Shildon Reserves with a thumping 5-1 away victory.

The home team never got a foothold in the game and goals from Richard Carr, Stuart Softly and Shaun Bradley, adding to a Philip Hickman brace, sealed the three points.

Michael Webster got a consolation for Shildon, whose star man was Michael Nichol. Lee Smith stood out for Wheatley.

Bishop Auckland Reserves ran out 13-0 winners against luckless Ferryhill Town, who were behind from the first minute, when Jordan Maughan struck.

A 20-minute hat-trick from Lewis Dunn made the points safe, before a stunning Conner McEvoy volley ensured it would be a comfortable afternoon.

Dunn went on to hit five goals, with Maughan sealing a hat-trick. Callum Walton, Bobby Gibson and two-goal Scott Connell also notched, with Matthew Jackson starring in vain for Ferryhill.

Ebchester Consett Reserves just had too much for Birtley in a 2-1 home success.

Richy Parkin made the breakthrough for Ebchester.

Jonny Parkin delivered a free-kick from halfway which was flicked on by Dan Parker and found Richy Parkin, who, despite having three men around hime, wriggled his way to the edge of the box to hit a fine strike into the top corner.

Ian Longstaff made a great save to deny Birtley and equaliser, though they did level halfway through the second half when Thomas Illingworth netted in a goalmouth scramble.

Birtley pushed for a winner, but Jonny Parkin’s pace broke up a good chance and the hosts won it when sub Jack Sanderson powered down the flank and found Richy Parkin, who showed great composure under pressure in the box to round keeper Michael Sanderson and slot home.

Bartlett keeper Sanderson was sent off for arguing with the linesman over an offside call which led to the goal.

Unbeaten Coundon & Leeholme had to work overtime to see off battling Hartlepool Reserves in an outstanding semi-final tie in the Clem Smith Bowl.

Coundon had an effort cleared off the line and squandered several other chances, yet had to live on their nerves as the hosts created three great opportunities late on.

Coundon, who had Mark Wood sent off, skimmed the post with an effort in extra time before Kurt Matthews rifled home a loose ball in the box for the winner.

Matthew Allison starred for Coundon, with keeper Kris Carr also making some fine stops.

In the final, Coundon will meet Wallsend Town, who outgunned Horsley Hill 6-3, thanks largely to four goals from the prolific Derek Graham.

Gavin Jones and Jordan Jones also notched, with Levi Collins (2) and Adam Sharp replying.

In midweek, Whitehill avenged their Sherburn Village WMC defeat by winning the rapid rematch 2-0 to rise into second place, thanks to goals from Scott Hope and Alex Peake.

Ferryhill Town enjoyed a rare win, 2-1 at Brandon United Reserves, with Aiden King hitting the hosts’ consolation.

Jonathan Ord was Brandon’s star performer.