Don Naylor leaves Peterlee after six-goal hammering

Have your say

TROUBLED Peterlee Town have parted company with manager Don Naylor and their fixture against Silksworth Rangers next Saturday has been postponed to give them time to regroup.

Naylor announced before the weekend game at Redcar Athletic that he would be stepping down following the match.

The club is anxious to appoint a successor as soon as possible and anyone interested is invited to contact chairman Les Neasor on 0790 8266507 or

It was not a happy finale for Naylor as Redcar enjoyed a six-goal romp to remain hot on the heels of leaders Ryhope CW.

The Seasiders reckon that the opening goal was the fastest ever scored in their history.

Incredibly, it came after only eight seconds. Lewis Wood kicked off, Stuart Wright found Billy Millington and his header reached the corner of the net.

The Newtowners never recovered and trailed by four goals inside 20 minutes. James Kesterton bagged a brace to add to Lewis Wood’s strike.

In the second half, Kesterton completed a hat-trick and Millington was on target with his second goal to take the tally to six. Peterlee have now conceded 68 goals – the highest number of the 19 sides.

In contrast, just one goal proved sufficient to settle the Wearside derby and it was Sunderland West End who came out on top at Silksworth Rangers when Stephen Bogie fired past goalkeeper John McLean after an hour.

Ashbrooke Belford House won the crucial bottom-five clash at Gateshead Leam Rangers by the odd goal in seven.

Tommy Dobbing’s side struggled in the early stages when Lee Turnbull struck twice for the Tynesiders.

Jake Moan cut the deficit but Liam Barnett quickly restored Gateshead’s two-goal cushion.

Ashbrooke suffered another blow on 35 minutes when Neil Moan was sent off but they mounted a spirited second-half performance to win 4-3 with further goals from Martin Deacon, Dale Wells and Jake Moan.

Jarrow were also involved in a thrilling contest at home to Darlington Cleveland Bridge, who were ahead with a Phil Caley penalty.

Andrew Wilkinson (2) and Brian Johnson replied but when Jonathan Lake netted on 88 minutes, Jarrow had to withstand late pressure defending their narrow lead.

John Allison celebrated his debut, scoring twice in Wolviston’s victory over Annfield Plain. Kai Hewitson threw the visitors a lifeline before the home side wrapped up the points with a third goal from James Brodie-Myers.

Ryhope CW’s fixture at Coxhoe Athletic was called off and so too was the game between Kirkbymoorside and Prudhoe Town.

Stockton Town progressed in the Wearside League Cup when they defeated Willington with an only goal from Andrew Westwood.

Hartlepool went out to Cleator Moor Celtic for whom Michael Dickinson scored twice after debutant Danny Corbett, who has returned to the club from Crook Town, had given Pools the lead.