Cup exit for Cestrians

Have your say

DESPITE leading by two goals until the hour mark, Chester-le-Street went out of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup following an extra-time thriller with Northallerton Town at Chester Moor Park last night.

Mattie Morris toe-poked the ball into the net on 26 minutes and after 54 minutes, a good move down the right ended with a cross from Lewis Lynch being headed home by Nick Gibson.

Northallerton’s fight-back began on 60 minutes with Jonathan Burton on target from close range and two minutes later Carl Chillingsworth drove past goalkeeper Mattie Crooks from the edge of the penalty area.

The tie went into extra-time and the visitors took advantage of a defensive misunderstanding for Adam Emson to clinch the winner.

Ten goals flowed when Jarrow Roofing defeated Brandon United, also after extra-time.

Richie McLoughlin’s side appeared to be coasting to victory when they built up a three-goal cushion courtesy of David Carson, with a brace and Josh Allen.

Glenn Hendrix reduced the deficit before Brandon celebrated a bizarre goal. A cross from Chris Davison hit the top of the crossbar but dropped down and was carried into the net by the wind.

A minute later, Stephen Moody beat the offside trap for the equaliser and at 90 minutes the score was 3-3.

Anth Myers (2) made it 5-3 to Roofing only for Andrew Williamson to throw Brandon a lifeline but their hopes ended in the 119th minute with Robert Gray taking Jarrow through.

In the Ebac Northern League Second Division, Birtley Town led three times but eventually had to settle for a point at home to relegation-threatened Alnwick Town.

Dan Hepplewhite, Stephen Graham and James Allsopp, with a superbly-executed direct free-kick, struck for the hosts with Tony Brown rifling a hat-trick for the Northumbrians, who remain third from bottom, now three points ahead of Esh Winning and five in front of Horden CW.

A goal from John Martin, on his debut, saw Whickham beat Ryton and Crawcrook Albion.

Newcastle Benfield reached the semi-finals of the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup with a single-goal win at Billingham Synthonia.

After 29 minutes, Aidan Bell’s effort rebounded off the post to Stephen Young and he made no mistake from close range.