Colliery dig deep, but still find no reward at Morpeth

Have your say

EASINGTON Colliery still prop up the Second Division of the STL Northern League, but if they can repeat their performance at Morpeth Town last night, they could yet escape the drop.

Paul Adamson’s side battled heroically against the Northumbrians, who are second and challenging strongly for promotion.

The Colliers were within a minute of upsetting the form book in a big way and cruelly, it was a penalty which denied them a fully-deserved point.

In the 90th minute the referee pointed to the spot and Stephen Anderson kept his cool to beat goalkeeper Tom Courtney.

Hebburn Town moved into fourth and just about ended the hopes of Esh Winning when they edged a 3-2 victory at Waterhouses.

In Division One, relegated Stokesley SC surprisingly led Bishop Auckland at the halfway stage.

Darren Richardson struck for the visitors, but a brace of goals from Adam Emson had Stokesley in front.

Their joy though was short-lived and following Richardson’s equaliser, Andrew Johnson struck Bishop’s winner from the penalty spot.

There were no goals between Consett and Bedlington Terriers at Belle Vue Park.

Spennymoor Town, North Shields and West Auckland Town all won by the odd goal in the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup and join Sunderland RCA in the semi-finals.

Calvin Smith was Spennymoor’s matchwinner at Guisborough Town and the other two ties went to extra time.

Underdogs North Shields edged Newcastle Benfield at the Sam Smiths ground.

Former Robins’ player Mark Sheeran gave them the lead and after Paul Antony levelled, skipper Paul Dunn struck in the 116th minute with the winning goal.

The tie at Shildon was within three minutes of being decided on penalties.

Michael Wray became the hero for West Auckland when he beat Shildon goalkeeper Keith Finch for the only goal.

Darlington RA went through to the last four of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup.

They led Whickham courtesy of Garry Barnes, Stephen Allinson, Michael Barnett and Nick Harrison before Scott Robson and Lawrence McKenna replied for the Glebemen in the last five minutes.