Clarke strike lifts Seaham into second

Have your say

SEAHAM Red Star leap-frogged North Shields into second place in Division Two of the EBAC Northern League when they edged the match of the day at the Daren Persson Stadium.

The only goal came right on the stroke of half-time when Jamie Clarke beat Michael Robinson with a good finish.

Earlier, Star goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook made two splendid saves from prolific scorer Gareth Bainbridge.

Heaton Stannington continue to set the pace following their promotion from the Northern Alliance. Goals by Paul Blakey and Lee Johnson earned them the points against South Shields at Peterlee and enabled them to stretch their lead to four points over Red Star with North Shields now third.

Chester-le-Street jumped to almost half-way with an excellent victory at Northallerton Town, where Jake Stafford, Michael Graver, Anthony Lee and Adam Smith netted. Chris Dickinson and Shaun Davies replied for the home side, who started the day in the top six.

Despite scoring first through David Harrison, Brandon United were well beaten by Whitehaven, whose marksmen were Matt Tymon (2), Peter O’Donnell, Kevin Halliday and Lee Wolfe.

Esh Winning failed to find the net against Thornaby who eventually won comfortably with a late goal from Bradley Wright after Robert Pearson and Chris Burton had also found the net.

H The Northern League will have four teams in the hat for today’s FA Cup third qualifying round draw and at least three will be involved in the next stage.

West Auckland, who defeated Whitby Town in the previous round, again saw off Evo-Stik League opposition when they demolished Skelmersdale United as the goals flowed from John Campbell (2), Luke Carr, Mattie Moffat and Jonathan Wright.

Marske United went through at Frickley Athletic, thanks to Andrew Jennings (2) and Glen Butterworth.

The tie was into added time when Joe Kenny replied.

Jarrow Roofing were within seconds of reaching the next round at the first attempt. With the game into the 96th minute, Danny Johnson claimed a dramatic equaliser and his hat-trick for Guisborough Town who had conceded goals to Stephen Young, Stuart Nicholson and Andy Appleby. The replay is on Wednesday.

Penrith drew at Scarbrough Athletic, where an own goal by Matthew Plummer gave them the lead before Gary Bradshaw levelled from the penalty spot.