Callaghan’s strike earns point for RCA at Celtic Nation

Have your say

IT’S never easy going to Celtic Nation, particularly in midweek, but Sunderland RCA claimed a fully deserved point from last night’s Ebac Northern League First Division game.

Neil Hixon’s side went ahead on 38 minutes as Anthony Callaghan’s drive from 20 yards clipped the inside of the post and beat goalkeeper Daniel Lowson.

The Cumbrians hit back on 55 minutes with Paul Johnson giving goalkeeper Peter Jameson little chance with a well-directed header.

Durham City and Dunston UTS also shared the points in another 1-1 draw.

The Citizens went close after 18 minutes when an Ollie Hotchkiss free-kick was fumbled by goalkeeper Liam Connell, who was fortunate to see the ball go out for a corner.

Just before the interval, good build-up by Scott Fenwick and Jack Walker opened up the opportunity for Ian Ward and he gave Connell no chance with a clinical finish from 20 yards.

UTS pressed in the early stages of the second period and levelled just before the hour mark. They were awarded a penalty and although goalkeeper James Winter saved Danny Craggs’ spot-kick, Craggs followed in the rebound.

City goalkeeper Winter then made two tremendous reflex saved from Gary Shaw to earn his side a point.

Billingham Town remain winless and pointless after suffering a 4-0 defeat at home to Consett for who Luke Sullivan rifled a hat-trick and Aristote Guerin Lakonga also netted.

Marske United conceded their 100 per cent record in a 2-2 draw with West Auckland, who led by the 25th minute through John Campbell (pen) and Mattie Moffat.

Just before the interval, Andrew Jennings reduced the deficit and early in the second half John Alexander equalised for Marske.

Ashington crashed 3-0 to Penrith as Matthew Read bagged a brace and Martin Coleman also beat goalkeeper Karl Dryden.

After losing their first four games, Whitley Bay have won the last three. Chris Reid bundled in from close-range after 55 minutes and 13 minutes from the end Morpeth Town defender Michael Hall headed a swirling ball into his own net.

In Division Two, Birtley Town lost for the first time going down 2-1 to South Shields at Peterlee.

Adam Sharp headed the Mariners ahead and Paul Kane doubled the lead. The game was into added time before Daniel Halliday claimed a consolation goal for Birtley.

Washington remain at the bottom with just one point from nine games after losing 3-0 at Tow Law Town. Rob Hurton headed past Adam McCann in the fifth minute and on 24 minutes the Newtowners, who have scored only four times, faced an uphill battle as Scott Brassell produced a good volley.

It was all over for Washington in the 56th minute when Hurton again found the target with another header.

Chester-le-Street are in the bottom six after losing 2-0 at Darlington RA for who Martin Butterworth and Tony Abel beat goalkeeper Kyle Barlow.

In the 79th minute, Kevin Duggan was introduced as a substitute by the Cestrians and a minute later he was back in the dugout. He brought down a player as he was about to shoot and the referee immediately showed him a red card.

Esh Winning are third from the basement after losing by the only goal at Whitehaven whose matchwinner was Fergus Jeans.

Ryton and Crawcrook Albion are second from the bottom following a 4-1 defeat against third-top Whickham who romped to a four-goals lead courtesy of Craig Rook, Tony Thirkell and Stephen Aiston before Josh Holland netted a consolation for the visitors.