Bussey seals points with penalty save

Have your say

SUNDERLAND West End moved into the top six with a thrilling victory at Harton and Westoe, who missed a penalty right at the end.

Gary Dodds was an early marksman for the home side, driving past goalkeeper Neil Bussey and on the stroke of half time Callum Hodgson headed in the equaliser.

Johnny Greener put the Wearsiders in front and David Keighley added the third goal before Owen Peterson reduced the deficit with his 78th-minute penalty.

But when Harton were awarded a second spot-kick, Peterson was this time denied by the excellence of Bussey.

Ashbrooke Belford House enjoyed a four-goal romp at Annfield Plain where Lee Collins rifled a first-half hat-trick. James Davis threw the home side a lifeline but Tommy Dobbing’s side finished strongly for Steve Callan to claim a fourth goal.

Easington Colliery just edged Kirkbymoorside by the odd goal in five despite taking a two-goals lead inside 16 minutes when Scott Whitmore twice found the net.

Jordan Rivis cut his team’s arrears and after Whitmore completed his hat-trick in the 78th minute, Johnny Brown raised the hopes of the Yorkshiremen with his strike a minute later.

Peterlee Town’s Martin Pope failed from the penalty spot and Stockton Town celebrated, scoring three times through Kallum Hannah (2) and Scott Meehan in the next 13 minutes.

Hannah then had a penalty saved by goalkeeper Kyle Donaldson and when the Teessiders were awarded a second spot-kick, it was entrusted to Tom Atkinson and he fired past Donaldson.

David Conroy and Michael Meek each bagged a brace of goals in Boldon CA’s romp at Redcar Athletic who managed only one reply from Rob Jones just before the final whistle.

Richmond Town are the new leaders but they had to come from behind before claiming three crucial points at the expense of Gateshead Leam Rangers whose early marksmen were Joe Adams and Anthony Brewis.

The Tynesiders hit back and the goals flowed from Paul Anderson (2), Ben Darville, Bradley Wood and Gary Sharder.

Willington, deposed from the leadership, are on course for a league and cup double after defeating Prudhoe Town 2-0 to reach the final of the Shipowners’ Cup.

Stephen Howe and Rhys Marshall were their matchwinners.

It looked all over for Silksworth Rangers when they trailed Darlington Cleveland Bridge by four goals at the halfway stage of their Monkwearmouth Cup tie.

Danny McLachlan struck a hat-trick with Lee Black also on the mark but Rangers produced a second-half rally and goals from Scott King, Darren Cragg and John Turvey had the Bridge anxiously waiting for the final whistle.

Jarrow and Hartlepool both succumbed to Ebac Northern League opponents in the Durham Challenge Cup.

A Gary Shaw hat-trick and one goal by Max Stoker earned Durham City their place in the second round when Jarrow managed only one reply, from Grant Pressling.

Hartlepool suffered an even heavier defeat, conceding seven times to rampant Seaham Red Star. whose marksmen were Chris Goss (3), Shannon North (2), Daniel Gray and Alan Pegram.