Bishops ease past Team

Have your say

BISHOP Auckland strolled to a 3-0 victory in last night’s Ebac Northern League First Division game when Team Northumbria shot themselves in the foot.

Former Ryhope CW marksman John Butler provided the cross for Dean Douglas to fire the home side in front as his shot from 20 yards cannoned into the net off a post.

Worse was to follow for Team six minutes later. David Colvin handled a Butler shot and was red-carded. Butler kept his cool to convert the resultant penalty.

From then on, Martin Swales’ side was never stretched and nine minutes from time Robert Moncur got in between two defenders at the back post and bundled the ball into the net past goalkeeper Andrew Jennison.

West Auckland Town stretched their unbeaten record to 13 games with a 3-2 win over Guisborough Town who went in front on 12 minutes courtesy of Michael Roberts who fired past Jordan Nixon at the far post.

Two goals in six minutes just before the interval turned the tables.

Warren Byrne pounced on a defensive error and slotted into the net from a narrow angle and in the 44th minute former Barnsley player Dennis Knight struck from 12 yards after being set up by Andrew Green.

Paul Garthwaite completed a flowing three-man move on the hour mark to give West the cushion of a two-goal lead and it wasn’t until added time that Danny Johnson claimed a second goal for Guisborough.

Willington easily defeated West Allotment Celtic in the First Round of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup at Hall Lane.

Aidan Goodey, with a direct free-kick from 25 yards and an equally clinical finish by Liam Whitworth, powered the home side into a two-goal interval lead.

Graeme Lazenby added a third goal from close range before Bartomeu Oliver-Berga reduced Allotment’s deficit but Adam Pinkney fired in a fourth goal for Willington following good work by Chris Hardy.

Spennymoor Town were saved the long journey to Penrith when the fixture was called off because the ground was waterlogged.