Bishop Auckland are saved by their Bishop in the STL Northern League

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA failed to complete a quick double over Bishop Auckland when the sides met for the second time in five days.

Following victory by the odd goal at Meadow Park, the game at Heritage Park ended goalless.

Bishop’s Andy Johnson was denied by Leon Carling as he raced clear and soon afterwards Johnson was just off-target.

Neil Hixon’s side came more into the picture during the second half and only four outstanding saves by Bishop goalkeeper Simon Bishop prevented them from claiming all three points.

The Wearsiders are seven points clear at the top of the table over West Auckland, who have two games in hand.

Mattie Moffat converted a disputed 77th-minute penalty for them at Tow Law Town before Michael Rae made certain of the points with his goal a minute from time.

A week ago South Shields defeated Billingham Synthonia 5-1, but when Billingham Town visited Filtrona Park, the Teessiders reversed that score.

Jamie Owens, with a brace, Nicholas Martin, Craig Norman and Alan Cosavella earned Billingham their first win of the season. Alex Benjamin replied with the Mariners’ only goal.

Stokesley SC have now conceded 50 goals in nine games, but will be encouraged by a much improved performance against Jarrow Roofing, who held on for a 3-2 victory.

Aristote Guerin-Lokonga scored all three goals for Roofing, with Drew Meldrum and Sangha Indy on target for the home side.

In Division Two, Washington are up to third after defeating Horden CW.

Following a goalless first half, John Wear broke the deadlock midway during the second and seven minutes later, Daniel Young made it two, with Horden appealing in vain for an offside decision.

Easington Colliery just edged Seaham Red Star in the local derby. James Huntley forced the ball into the net from a corner to score the only goal in the 10th minute.

Chester-le-Street went down by three goals to Whickham, whose matchwinners were Sam Aiston, Laurence McKenna and Ali Henderson.

Darlington RA lead the table after sharing the points with Morpeth Town, for whom Michael Hall equalised Steve Atkinson’s early goal.

Team Northumbria remain second and missed the chance to go top when they were surprisingly defeated by North Shields, whose matchwinner was Paul Dunn.

Brandon United and Crook Town shared the points. Phil Robinson headed in for the home side after just nine minutes and in the 66th minute, Kyle Davis levelled from close-range.