Benfield through, but four get cup replays

Oldest derby
Oldest derby
Have your say

IT wasn’t the best of days for Ebac Northern League sides in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup.

Only Newcastle Benfield won, but four teams lived to fight another day.

The tie of the round attracted a crowd of 643 to Heritage Park, where Spennymoor Town edged arch rivals Bishop Auckland by the odd goal.

Moors were gifted a first-minute lead as Liam Henderson took advantage of culpable defending and there was a further blow for Bishops when ace marksman John Butler pulled a hamstring and had to be substituted after 23 minutes.

Almost immediately, Danny Brunskill levelled, but, for a second time, Jason Ainsley’s side went in front as Henderson struck again.

Glen Lane delivered a good free-kick into the top corner of the net for Bishops’ second equaliser, but, 17 minutes from time, Michael Roberts fired Moors’ winner.

Lancaster City, who blasted Washington 7-0 in the previous round, were almost equally effective at West Allotment Celtic, who crashed out to a 5-0 defeat.

Consett faced the toughest task and they were left with a formidable challenge after conceding goals to Workington’s Adam Telfer and Kyle May. The Steelmen were unable to get back into the tie and exited 2-0.

Newcastle Benfield were the only winners and Dan Taylor, signed last week from Spennymoor Town, repaid the confidence shown in him by manager Neil Saxton.

He was in the right position to side-foot Benfield into a half-time lead and was involved in the second goal converted by Paul Brayson.

Ombeni Kuhandvka threw Bridlington Town a lifeline and the Tynesiders had to endure anxious times before the tie was made safe with Brayson’s 91st-minute penalty.

Dunston UTS have home advantage over Marske United in tomorrow night’s replay. Michael Dixon and Scott Fenwick (penalty) were their marksmen in a 2-2 draw, with Darren Hollingsworth and Jamie Owens replying.

Ashington looked to be on their way into the next round when Glen Taylor scored twice at home to Scarborough Athletic, but, in added time, the visitors were awarded a penalty which James Beadle converted for his second goal.

Shildon go to Whitby Town on Wednesday night after a 1-1 draw. Ben Wood produced a fine volley on 29 minutes, but Liam Shepherd’s persistence paid off as he fired home for darren Williams’ side.