Belford House match is abandoned

Have your say

Wearside League

by Malcolm Pratt

ASHBROOKE Belford House won’t forget their visit to Whitehaven in a hurry.

They fielded only 10 men and in the 25th minute an injury reduced their number to nine.

It got worse when they had a player sent off before the interval, leading them to face the second period with only eight players ... but this was not the end of the drama.

In the 76th minute, two players were injured simultaneously and the referee had no option but to abandon the match.

At this stage, the Cumbrians led 6-0 with goals by Kevin Connelly (2), Bradley Dryden (2), Kevin Holliday and Johnny Donat.

Sunderland West End were also on their travels but had a much happier time at Seaton Carew where they came from behind and clinched all three points.

Kyle Anderson and Steve Chapman netted for the Seasiders, with Jordan Cook, Kieran Martin, Brad Foster and Barry Turton on target for West End in a 4-2 victory.

Stockton Town were on cup duty and Horden CW had a free day but third-placed Easington Colliery failed to fully capitalise.

They were held to a 1-1 draw at Hartlepool, for whom Lee Jones struck with just 14 minutes on the clock.

David Paul quickly levelled but before the interval he drove a penalty against the post.

Early in the second period, Pool had Callum Sweeney sent off and Easington’s Luke Page was also dismissed 12 minutes later.

Harton and Westoe edged Leam Rangers to leapfrog their rivals near the bottom.

A brace from Ricky Brown gave Harton the perfect star, but when debutant Brodie Simpson halved the deficit it was all to play for.

The South Tynesiders held on and are fourth from the basement ahead of Wolviston, Leam and Annfield Plain.

Boldon CA were well beaten at Richmond Town, who built up a three-goal cushion through Mark Sims (2) and George Battensby before Shaun Heads replied. Soon afterwards, though, Richmond were again three goals ahead when Sims completed a hat-trick from the penalty spot.

Stockton Town will meet Ashbrooke Belford House in the final of the Sunderland Shipowners’ Cup. Two scrambled goals from Tom Coulthard and Macaulay Longstaff, who had only been on the field three minutes, saw them beat Redcar Athletic.

Spennymoor Town Reserves and Wolviston both won 3-0 to reach the second round of the Wearside League Cup. Player-boss Carl Beasley was a first-half marksman for Moors and by the hour it was just about all over for Prudhoe Town when Reece Brown and David Gibson made it 3-0.

Skipper Ian Danby led from the front in Wolviston’s 3-0 triumph at Jarrow.

He bagged a brace with Matthew Brayston also on the mark.