Belford House left boiling over subs mix-up

Have your say

ASHBROOKE Belford House were furious last night when the referee refused to allow them a half-time substitution because of a technicality, writes Malcolm Pratt.

“I couldn’t believe the decision, which meant we played the entire second half of our Durham Challenge Cup tie against Darlington Cleveland Bridge with only 10 men,” said a clearly irritated boss Tommy Dobbing.

Dobbing explained that clubs are required to fill in a four-part form which lists the 11 players in the starting line-up and all substitutes.

“The referee said he couldn’t read his copy, so I made out another one before kick-off, but forgot to include the subs which were shown on the original document.

“I went into his room at half-time and said we needed to make a substitution, but the official pointed out the subs had not been listed on the copy of the form which he had accepted.

“I brought to his attention that they were included on the original and that he and the assistant referee had allowed five substitutes, all wearing an orange bib with the letter ‘S’, in the technical area during the first half.

“If he didn’t consider them as subs then they should have been removed. I just cannot believe what has happened.”

After conceding two early goals, the Wearsiders reduced the deficit through Martin Deacon and despite their numerical disadvantage, equalised with a Lee Collins strike.

Five minutes from time an unfortunate own goal earned Darlington Cleveland Bridge their place in the next round.

There’s still no stopping Ryhope CW, who boast a 100 per cent record in all competitions.

Easington Colliery were twice ahead through Shaun Todd and a Luke Wilson penalty before Martin Swales’ side won a five-goal thriller in extra time.

Paul Taylor levelled in normal time and John Butler was Ryhope’s second marksman.

He then became the hero of the night, heading in the winner in the 115th minute.

Washington eased into the second round with victory over Silksworth Rangers, whose hopes were raised as Ryan Mather cancelled Dan Young’s early effort.

Jake Leighton restored the advantage to the Newtowners in the second half and he was again on target after an hour.

Peterlee Town reached the next stage with a 2-1 victory over Boldon CA.

David Hopper gave Boldon a ninth-minute lead, but following Ashley Gilhespy’s equaliser, Paul Moss headed in the winner on 57 minutes.

Jarrow Roofing lost out to Darlington RA, whose matchwinners were Paul Freary and Carl Hewitt and Hebburn Town went down to Consett, for whom Michael Mackay, Dale Burrell, Marc Walton and Gavin Scott netted after Dean Nicholson had fired the visitors in front from the penalty spot.

Leam Rangers faced the most difficult task of the night and were far from disgraced going down 3-0 against a Darlington XI at Norton.