Belford find form in cup

Have your say

RYHOPE CW, unbeaten in 19 Wearside League games, were second best to Ashbrooke Belford House in the Shipowners’ Cup on Saturday.

Ashbrooke trail their neighbours by 20 points, having suffered 10 defeats, but, on the day, were full value for a 2-1 away win in the second round tie.

They could hardly have made a better start. After just three minutes, Nathan Burrell fired past goalkeeper Nikki Lawson and almost immediately Burrell was again on target.

Ryhope’s hopes were raised before the interval as Jack Pounder beat keeper Brett Wilson, but Ashbrooke held on to their narrow lead to go into the semi-finals.

Easington Colliery greatly contributed to their own downfall in the league game at fourth-top Redcar Athletic.

After conceding twice in the opening five minutes to Sam Webster and Adam Preston, the Colliers went down to 10 men in the seventh minute when David Paul was shown a straight red card.

Worse was to follow for Paul Frame’s side and 10 minutes before the interval captain Mark Swindle was also dismissed.

Unsurprisingly, Richie Playforth added a third goal before half-time, but, to their credit, Easington worked hard, with Jordan Thompson outstanding, in the second period.

They were rewarded with a consolation goal by David Laight in the 58th minute, but their nine men never had a realistic chance of saving the game.

Keith Brown marked his second game in charge of Horden CW with another victory.

The Colliers played some excellent football and after Chris Tarn drove in through a ruck of players, Ryan Brymer hit a tremendous shot from 30 yards which rocketed into the top corner of the net.

At this stage, visitors Leam Rangers were struggling to contain the lively home attack and before the interval Darren Atkinson went past three defenders before placing a shot past goalkeeper Scott Young.

Silksworth CW moved into seventh place – their highest position for several years – when they held fifth-top Richmond Town to a draw in Yorkshire.

Jamie Clarke converted a Kalumn Holbrook pass when he shrugged off two markers and placed his effort past Silksworth goalkeeper Joe Clayton.

The Wearsiders hit back for a fully-deserved equaliser with Willie Crew heading in a free kick.

Boldon CA, like Easington Colliery, also played the majority of their game at Annfield Plain with only nine players. They were holding their hosts but just before the interval two players saw red. Chris Hammil and Andrew Hall twice had the South Tynesiders in front with James Davis and Aaron Reynolds replying for the Plain.

In the second half, the home side won at a canter with man-of-the-match Scott Heslop beating goalkeeper Connor Binney on three occasions.

Coxhoe Athletic remain bottom, equal on points with Hartlepool. The Beechfield Park side produced a good performance before losing out to Seaton Carew, who won with Craig Hutchinson’s 82nd-minute strike.

Ryan Kiteley gave Coxhoe a 15th-minute advantage and, right on the stroke of half-time, Terry Wilkinson restored parity.

Prudhoe Town reached the second round of the Wearside League Cup, defeating Wolviston with strikes by Scott Watson, Robert Smith and Kai Hewitson. Billy Gatenby was credited with Wolviston’s only goal.

Stockton Town progressed to the third round of the Durham Challenge Cup with a 6-2 extra-time win over Whickham, who twice led courtesy of Mark Fitzpatrick and Sam McIntosh (penalty).

Stephen Roberts (penalty) and Scott Meehan replied for the Teessiders in normal time and in extra time Kraig Wilkinson (3) and Kallum Hannah swept the home side to victory.

Hartlepool crashed out to Dunston UTS, who enjoyed a nine-goal romp, with Andrew Bulford (3), Jonny Wightman (2), Gary Shaw, Chris Swailes, Michael Dixon and Dan Craggs (penalty) all beating goalkeeper Michael Campbell.