Barton strikes as RCA rally to rock Moors

Have your say

LAST week, Spennymoor Town just edged Sunderland RCA in the FA Cup and when the sides met again at Meadow Park on Saturday, there was another close result in the EBAC Northern League.

Jason Ainsley’s side enjoyed a lot of possession during the opening half and RCA goalkeeper Peter Jameson made a brilliant save to deny the ever-dangerous Keith Graydon.

Joe Walton should have done better when through on the home goal but just before the interval the home side had strong appeals for a penalty turned down.

Spennymoor were quickly back on the attack in the second half and broke the deadlock on 47 minutes with Graydon slotting the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

There were further chances for the visitors before Neil Hixon’s side levelled in the 68th minute.

A long ball out of defence was latched onto by Gavin Barton, who confidently fired home past goalkeeper Peter Jeffries.

Durham City are fourth-top following a 4-1 win over Newton Aycliffe at New Ferens Park.

The Citizens failed with a 14th-minute penalty when goalkeeper Danny Molyneux anticipated Ollie Hotchkiss’s strike.

A minute later, though, the home side went in front with a clinical finish by Denver Morris and before the interval City’s pressure was rewarded with a second goal by Ian Ward.

Durham’s powerful attacking had Aycliffe on the ropes and it was no surprise when Ward struck again four minutes into the second period.

It took a magnificent save though by Rhys Jobling to deny Danny Earl but there was a further blow for Aycliffe on 58 minutes when Danny Lambert was red carded. Even so, they managed to reduce the deficit through Earl only for City to re-establish a three-goal cushion with a late strike by Scott Fenwick.

Marske United are the new leaders after beating Billingham Town 3-2.

Despite being twice ahead through Karl Charlton and Ged Livingstone, the Teessiders suffered a fourth straight defeat when Harrison Davies, Glen Butler and Brian Stewart netted.

Crook Town have made a brilliant start to their first season back in the top flight, but Whitley Bay’s woes continued at the Millfield where Richard Hodgson, Warren Byrne and Craig Hughes swept the home side to victory and into second-top position.

Bishop Auckland won for the first time, defeating Penrith with goals by the Bythway brothers Luke and Lee, Craig Hodgson and Keiran Megran.

At one stage, Bishops were four goals up before Matthew Read and Ryan Hall made the scoreline more respectable. The only downside for Bishops was the dismissal of Mark Wood in the 69th minute.

One-time leaders Bedlington Terriers slipped back to third place when they were well beaten at Guisborough Town whose marksmen were Danny Johnson (2) and Michael Roberts.