Alex Benjamin and Mark Davison destroy Guisborough Town

Have your say

GUISBOROUGH Town arrived at Meadow Park last night on the back of some improved performances but they were totally outclassed by Sunderland RCA who are now third-top in the STL Northern League First Division, writes MALCOLM PRATT.

An early strike by Alex Benjamin was just what manager Neil Hixon wanted and just before the interval he was gifted an own goal when a cross from Lee Owens was deflected into the net.

The second half was completely dominated by the Wearsiders and three goals in nine minutes killed off the visitors.

Benjamin and Mark Davison then completed hat-tricks in a 7-0 victory and Hixon’s men are now only three points behind leaders West Auckland Town.

The night didn’t start very well for Guisborough in more ways than one. Firstly, the start was delayed because the visitors didn’t have a full complement of players and one who didn’t arrive for the kick-off was goalkeeper Jack Norton.

Stephen Dowling took over but after just a minute he was relieved by Norton who then had the unenviable task of taking the ball out of the net on seven occasions.

In Division Two, Horden CW gained an excellent point in a goalless draw at home to Gillford Park, who would have gone third-top had they won.

Stephen Skinner was inches away from winning the game for the Colliers but manager Brian Honour will be satisfied with a point since goalkeeper Tom Orton kept his side in the game with several outstanding saves.

Whitehaven produced one of the shock results of the season when they went nap at Hebburn Town with goals from Kevin Connelly (2), James Dunnitt, Leigh Dunn and Craig Robson.

The Cumbrians though, remain third from the basement, four points ahead of Horden CW and six in front of bottom-of-the-table Easington Colliery.

Chester-le-Street went out of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup to Whickham who ended 5-2 winners at Chester Moor Park.

It looked all over for the Cestrians when they conceded goals to Dom Elliott (2) and Johnny Mann inside the opening 23 minutes.

Anth Smith’s team then mounted a spirited comeback. Dan Curry reduced the deficit and Tom Vickers was on target, making his home debut.

Just one goal separated the sides at the halfway stage but the hopes of the Cestrians were ended as Lawrence McKenna bagged a brace of goals.

H Ashington produced a stirring display in last night’s Sage Northumberland FA Senior Cup tie against Newcastle United Reserves before losing 2-0. Brad Inman scored both goals.