Agony for Sunderland RCA

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA suffered cruel luck on Saturday when they conceded a last-gasp winner to Shildon, who moved back to the top of the Ebac Northern League First Division.

It appeared that David Lee’s side had done enough to claim a point at Meadow Park, but, in the final minute, a cross into the box was slid past goalkeeper Jonathan Carmichael by Ben Wood.

Dan Wray had given RCA a 17th-minute lead as he headed past Shildon goalkeeper Lewis Graham from a corner and the home side held the advantage until the 68th minute when Wood drove low into the corner of the net.

Durham City missed the chance to go seventh when they were defeated 2-1 by fourth-from-bottom Morpeth Town at Craik Park.

Ollie Hotchkiss fired a free-kick from 25 yards against the woodwork before Michael Chilton gave Morpeth the lead following a good cross by Stephen Forster.

The Citizens hit back with a 60th-minute equaliser by Scott Fenwick, who ran onto a through ball and fired home, wide of keeper Steven Mundy.

City were denied a second goal when Mundy made a superb save to deny Josh Gray.

Midway during the second half, Morpeth clinched three crucial points in their battle to stay out of the bottom three when Chilton headed in a Shaun Taylor cross.

Celtic Nation are only a point behind leaders Shildon, and Spennymoor Town ,who were on Durham Challenge Cup duty, after storming to a five-goal victory against Marske United.

It wasn’t until past the hour mark that the deadlock was broken, but from then on the floodgates opened with Johnny Allen (3), Willie Gibson and Nicky Reay scoring in the space of 26 minutes.

Top-five sides Dunston UTS and Ashington shared the points.

Andrew Johnson was an early scorer for the Colliers with a tremendous shot, but it was no more than UTS deserved as Danny Craggs levelled with an equally clinical finish.

West Auckland Town remain the only unbeaten side after winning a scrappy game 2-0 at Whitley Bay, thanks to goals either side of half time by Mattie Moffat and Dennis Knight.

John Butler, signed from Ryhope CW, has made an immediate impression for Bishop Auckland. He bagged a brace of goals in the win over Billingham Synthonia when Daniel McWilliams (own goal) and Shaun Tarling also struck.

Team Northumbria produced the shock result of the day when they defeated Newcastle Benfield, who had taken 22 points from their previous eight games.

Phil Lumsden and Dan Riley had third-bottom Team Northumbria two goals up and it wasn’t until added time that Chris Carr replied with Benfield’s only reply.