Ace Chris Winns it!

Have your say

RYHOPE CW became the first side to pass the 100-goal mark in the Wearside League when they hit Wolviston for six last night.

Paul Bennett’s side – and ace striker Chris Winn in particular – were rampant from the start.

With only 11 minutes on the clock, Winn fired past goalkeeper Chris Davidson for the opener. Although they exerted considerable pressure, the Wearsiders were unable to add to their lead before the break.

After the interval, however, they turned their supremacy into goals.

Winn took advantage of a defensive error to score again on 46 minutes and, although Carl Lilley replied for the visitors, there was no stopping Ryhope.

Winn completed his hat-trick in the 68th minute and George McCain, a 74th-minute substitute, added his name to the scoresheet within a minute.

Scott Donaldson drove through a crowded goalmouth for Ryhope’s fifth and, in the last minute, Winn completed a magnificent man-of-the-match performance by taking his personal tally to four.

His whole-hearted display was all the more commendable since he played for Washington 24 hours earlier!

Ryhope remain a point behind Stockton Town with a game in hand and a significantly superior goal difference over the Teessiders, who enjoyed a 4-0 romp at Boldon CA, thanks to Alan Cossavella. Anthony Renwick’s own goal, captain Stephen Roberts and Luke Whittaker.

Silksworth CW moved into eighth place, above Ashbrooke Belford House, with a comfortable 4-0 victory at home to Easington Colliery.

There was a scare for Mark McGinley’s side after 27 minutes when Easington were awarded a penalty, but goalkeeper Joe Clayton came to the rescue, saving skipper Luke Page’s spot-kick.

Silksworth responded within three minutes with a well-worked opening goal by Alex Kempster and, before the interval, Ashley Davis brilliantly turned his marker before hitting a 25-yard volley into the bottom of the net for 2-0.

Midway through the second half, Davis was again on target with a crisp finish from 18 yards then, just before the end, Mark Robinson completed a comprehensive victory.

It was not a good night for Easington captain Page, who was shown two yellow cards in four minutes late on.

Sunderland West End are fifth after defeating Prudhoe Town 2-1.

The West Tyne side made a dream start as Stephen Forster fired past goalkeeper Lee Burrell in the first minute, but John Coomber equalised almost immediately, burying a shot into the bottom corner.

Just before the interval, Barry Turton netted what turned out to be the winning goal. Despite a couple of floodlight failures, the game was completed.

Redcar Athletic missed the chance to go third when they lost 4-1 to Seaton Carew, Lee Jones firing a hat-trick.