Keith Graydon orchestrates Sunderland RCA ’s victory in the Northern League

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA moved into mid-table in the STL Northern League First Division with a thrilling 3-2 victory at Dunston UTS last night.

They made a dream start scoring after just four minutes as Leon Carling headed home a Keith Graydon free kick.

The Tynesiders hit back and when Lee Andrew produced a precision cross, Andrew Bulford headed in the equaliser.

Early in the second period Stephen Pickering fired the home side ahead but Neil Hixon’s side rallied after goalkeeper Gary Hoggeth had made two tremendous saves to keep the Wearsiders in the game.

Another Graydon free kick led to Carl Beasley heading in the equaliser and 10 minutes from time RCA snatched the lead and the points as Graydon fired past goalkeeper Liam Connell.

Spennymoor Town leap-frogged Shildon into second place and are now only five points adrift of Consett with two games in hand.

Jason Ainsley’s team though had their work cut out before defeating neighbours Bishop Auckland 2-1 at The Brewery field.

It took a 38th-minute penalty by Stephen Capper to break the deadlock and Calvin Smith doubled Moor’s advantage in the final minute.

There was still time though for Wayne Gredziak to reduce the deficit but his 93rd-minute strike was too little too late for Bishops.

Ryton stay at the basement and have now conceded 103 goals in 24 matches after losing 5-0 at West Auckland Town.

Recent signing from Workington Town, Mattie Tymon scored his first goal for West when he converted a first-half penalty. Mattie Moffat made it two a minute before the break and in the second half, further goals flowed from Chris Lunn (2) and Stuart Banks.

Whitley Bay enhanced their promotion prospects with a 3-1 victory over Bedlington Terriers who arrived at Hillheads in outstanding form.

They were outplayed by the Seahorses who romped into a three-goal lead by the 38th minute courtesy of Craig McFarlane, Paul Chow and Brian Smith.

It could have been four but Lee Kerr hit the post with a second-half penalty before Alex Benjamin struck from the spot for Terriers but Whitley comfortably held on.

South Shields came from behind to win 2-1 at Esh Winning with goals from Chris Winn and Keith Hutchinson. Daniel Lennon scored for Esh.

In Division Two, Horden CW played for 69 minutes with only 10 men after Craig Garthwaite was sent off when he was deemed to be the last defender.

Birtley Town took advantage, claiming the points with a goal from Andrew McIntosh, who finally beat impressive Colliers’ goalkeeper Grant Herbert.

Washington crashed to a 7-1 defeat at North Shields who have won 11 and drawn three of their last 14 games to move into second place.

The Newtowners had a mountain to climb after leaking four goals in 37 minutes and although John Harrison reduced the arrears, the Robins were equally dominant in the second period.

Keith Douglas completed a hat-trick with James Luccock (2), Andy Hay and Paul Watson also on target.

Morpeth Town are the only side in the two divisions yet to win and they suffered an 18th defeat in 20 outings when Gillford Park enjoyed a comfortable 4-0 victory thanks to Stuart Bell (2), Lee Crowe and Tyran Taylor.