York City 1 Hartlepool United 0: Cruel defeat, but Pools still out of drop zone

Picture by Joe Spence
Picture by Joe Spence
Have your say

HARTLEPOOL United suffered a cruel 1-0 defeat at relegation rivals York City - but remain out of the bottom two.

The Minstermen were down to 10 men for the whole of the second half after Dave Winfield was red carded just before half-time.

Picture by Joe Spence.

Picture by Joe Spence.

But a 67th minute deflected winner from Luke Summerfield proved the difference between the sides in front of 2,000 away fans.

Defeat leaves Pools - who dominated possession - third-bottom but out of the drop zone after Tranmere Rovers and Cheltenham Town also tasted defeat.

Ahead of kick-off Pools were given a major boost with on-loan Preston North End striker Jordan Hugill named in the starting line-up.

He was a major doubt with an eye injury but he was given the all clear to play by an eye specialist.

Pools again lined up in a 3-5-2 formation, while Russ Wilcox’s Minstermen were 3-4-3.

It was a combative start, both sides not giving an inch as they battle to stay in the Football League.

Scott Flinders was the first stopper to be called into an action a few moments in, saving easily from Keith Lowe’s scooped effort near the penalty area.

Up the other end, Pools had their first sight on goal 11 minutes in.

Scott Harrison saw his low effort cleared off the line by Dave Winfield, deflected away for another corner.

York stopper Michael Ingham was left flat-footed 20-minutes in, Brad Walker dropping his shoulder to beat two men 25-yards out before seeing his shot deflected just wide.

Franks, impressing with his work rate, worked a chance well for himself on the half hour mark but saw his shot go inches wide of the right-hand post.

Pools had Flinders to thank for keeping the scores level in the 36th minute, getting down low to save a 20-yard strike from Coulthirst.

The game burst into life as the game approached half-time as Winfield - the defender who broke Michael Woods’ leg last month when on loan at Wimbledon - was given a straight red for a two-footed lunge on Walker.

Referee Keith Stroud didn’t hesitate showing the red, Winfield leaving the field to an earful from Sam Collins on the Pools bench.

Half-Time: York 0 Pools 0

Pools dominated the opening 20 minutes of the second against 10-man York at a blustery Bootham Cresecent.

Reading loanee Aaron Tshibola had a claim for a penalty, he was fouled inside the area by Coulson taking an elbow to the face but nothing was given.

The ball broke wide to Franks but Hugill fired over the bar from the resulting cross.

Pools had all the pressure but it was York that took the lead against the run of play.

Coulthirst saw his shot blocked, the ball falling to Luke Summerfield who hit a fierce effort that took a massive deflection on its way past a flat-footed Flinders.

It was a sickening blow.

Walker, a target of boos from the home crowd, was then subbed by Moore in the 70th minute.

Tshibola - who didn’t enjoy his best game - fired high over the bar, while Franks saw a well-struck effort wonderfully tipped over by Ingham as the clock ticked down.

Moore then turned to Scott Fenwick from the bench, the striker returning to the squad after two months out with an ankle injury.

Pools were pressing and probing but they couldn’t find a breakthrough past a stubborn York defence.

They seemed to run out of ideas as the time ran out on them.

Full-Time: York 1 Pools 0

York City (3-4-3): Ingham, Lowe, Winfield, McCombe, Halliday, Penn, Summerfield, Zubar, Coulthirst (Platt, 82), Hyde, Coulson (Ilesanmi, 67).

Subs: Mooney, McCoy, Montrose, O’Hanlon, Miller.

Booked: Coulson (13)

Off: Winfield (44)

Scorer: Summerfield (67)

Pools (5-3-2): Flinders (C), Austin (Fenwick, 80), Harrison, Mirfin, D Jones, Duckworth (J Jones, 90), Featherstone, Tshibola, Walker (Hawkins, 70), Franks, Hugill.

Subs: Maxted, Richards, Nelson-Addy, Harewood.

Booked: Harrison (16), Austin (65)

Referee: Keith Stroud (Hampshire)