HARTLEPOOL United have missed out on three targets this week but boss Ronnie Moore is still hopeful of adding a new striker ahead of the Tranmere Rovers clash.
Scunthorpe United winger Jennison Myrie-William signed for Tranmere on loan, Sheffield United striker Chris Porter (pictured) has joined Colchester United, while attempts to bring back Middlesbrough’s Charlie Wyke have hit a wall.
But Moore is still hopeful of adding an experienced striker ahead of the trip to Prenton Park.
Moore said: “We are still trying to get players in and you would not believe it if I showed you the list of players, managers and agents we have been talking to over the last two weeks – it’s just embarrassing that we can’t get the experience in.
“There are kids out there, but that’s a massive gamble.
“We need experience and I’m hopeful we might get one in for Saturday, it will be a striker with a bit of luck.
“We are after a striker, a loan, which they all are at this moment.
“We’ve been trying three weeks for it to happen.”
Travis Cooper, an Australian U23 striker, has been playing in Holland but is currently training with Pools, as revealed by SportMail.
Moore said at the moment they are just assessing the free agent but he did confirm he tried to re-sign Boro’s Wyke on loan.
The Championship striker spent three months at the struggling Sky Bet League Two club earlier this season, scoring four goals, and the club has always been keen to bring him back if possible.
He admitted bringing Wyke back would have been “one hell of a signing” but Moore said the striker is being guided in a different direction by his agent.
Moore said: “We spoke to Middlesbrough and have been desperate to get Charlie Wyke back in, but at this moment in time his agent is guiding him in a different direction.
“He would be a hell of a signing for us but it won’t happen at this moment in time.”
Meanwhile, Myrie-William opted to join Micky Adams at Tranmere while Porter, who was on Moore’s radar, has signed an 18-month deal at Colchester.
TMH 2014 – who brought the club from IOR back in December – are still waiting for Football League approval with no timescale set on when it will be resolved.
Moore was not taking any questions on the issue at the pre-match press conference held at Billingham Town’s Bedford Terrace ground.
Pools had decamped there for training due to the pitches at Maiden Castle, in Durham, being frozen.
Earlier in the week they also had an indoor session at the Sports Domes, in Seaton Carew.
Moore added: “Training has been disrupted because of the weather.
“We have been indoors this week but we were able to get to Billingham Town and get outside.
“It shouldn’t affect training for us.”