Plymouth Argyle 1 Hartlepool Utd 1: Brilliant Barmby strike makes point for Pools

Hartlepool's Jack Barmby (right) looks to create an opening at Plymouth today. Picture by Frank Reid
Hartlepool's Jack Barmby (right) looks to create an opening at Plymouth today. Picture by Frank Reid
Have your say

JACK BARMBY scored a delightful equaliser as Hartlepool United fought back to win a point at Plymouth Argyle.

Pools trailed to an excellent first-half strike from Jason Banton.

But the on-loan Man United teenager lobbed in a superb 67th minute goal at Home Park, just five days after his winner secured the club’s Football League status.

Plymouth were the first to threaten, midfielder Remy Boco’s shot going just wide of the target after only 15 seconds.

Pools soon settled after that very early and there was a good first touch for Oliver, who brought the ball forward nicely before losing possession just outside the area.

But it was Oliver who had the first effort on goal for Pools in the 12th minute.

The midfielder played a neat 1-2 with Brad Walker and took a stride or two forward before letting fly with a shot which went wide of Jake Cole’s right-hand upright.

Pools won their first corner on 16 minutes but Jack Barmby’s delivery failed to make it beyond the first Argyle defender.

But Pools were looking lively and Oliver played a good long ball which Barmby kept in. PLymouth cleared the cross but only as fas as Oliver whose right-foot shot went high over Cole’s bar.

Plymouth went close shortly afterwards when Enoch Showunmi, playing for the third time against Pools this season after wearing the colors of Notts Co and Torquay, saw a dipping volley land on the top of Scott Flinders’ net.

Pools had an escape in the 25th minute when Argyle broke from deep and Con Hourihane crossed from the left with Showunmi’s spectacular attempt going over Flinders’ bar.

Oliver clearly enjoying himself on his first FL start and he let fly from 35 yards and was not a million miles away.

But Pools went a goal behind on the half-hour, when JASON BANTON danced his way into the a\way box and beat Flinders with a powerful shot.

Pools came back well and won a few corners in the teaming rain but could not make use of any of them.

The closest they came was when Cole did well to beat away a Walker piledriver from outside of the box and defender Curtis Nelson coolly headed the rebound back to his stopper.

Pools were forced into a change 10 minutes from the break, Jack Compton coming on for Andy Monkhouse.

Plymouth went close twice at the end of the half, Collins clearing superbly under pressure from Showunmi and Flinders beating out a Hourihane shot.


Plymouth 1

Pools 0

Pools were first out of the blocks in the second period, with Harewood, Michael Duckworth and Franks combining well to win a corner.

Oliver sent the flag kick over from the left with Collins just unable to get there at the back post.

Pools had a let-off in the 49th minute when Banton headed over after a useful knockback by Showunmi.

It was the final contribution for the goalscorer with boss John Sheridan bringing on Lewis Allessandra.

The match was briefly hi-jacked by two of the left-footers on view.

Barmby twice had efforts at the home end, his first going wide and the second beaten away unconventionally by Cole, the ball seemingly coming off his chin.

At the other end, Hourihane went wide off Flinders’ right-hand post before the Pools stopper got down well to save low down.

Pools made their second change on the hour when Franks was withdrawn, James Poole coming on.

And the Thunderbirds were cheering on 67 minutes when their side pulled level.

Durrell Berry’s attempted head back to Cole got no where near its intended destination.

BARMBY pounced on the ball and lifted an exquisite lob from 12 yards dropped into the home net.

It prompted ecstatic celebrations between Pools players and the Thunderbirds.

Sheridan brought off Showunmi and Boco, sending on PLayer of the Year Reuban Reid and Tyler Harvey.

Pools were giving as good as they got and they were almost in front 10 minutes from time.

Oliver spotted the run of Darren Holden down the left and picked him out with a stunning 50-yard ball.

Holden broke into the area but his shot from the left went just to the left of Cole’s left-hand post.

Pools made their final suib with Barmby limping off to be replaced by Jordan Richards.

The away side were finishing strongly with Poole, Compton, Richards and Harewood all in good form going forward.

Richards three time found himself with chances to put in good balls but each time his delivery was not what he would have liked.

Plymouth went close in the 87th minute when Reid got the better of Harrison but Flinders saved well from close range.

And Pools were denied by the woodwork two minutes from time.

Compton made a brilliant run and lined up a shot from the edge of the box which came back off Cole’s left-hand post, with Oliver seeing his follow up shot blocked.

It was not the end of the drama with Plymouth awarded a free-kick in stoppage time.

And this time the post came to Pools aid, Hourihane’s left-footer coming back off Flinders right-hand post.

But full-time came with a 1-1 scoreline a fair result.




PLYMOUTH: Cole, Blanchard, Trottman, Nelson, Berry, Gurrieri, Young, Hourihane, Boco (Harvey 73), Showunmi (Reid 68), Banton (Allesandera 49).

Subs: Dawson, Allesandra, Reid, Blizzard, Thomas, Harvey, Purrington

POOLS: Flinders, Duckworth, Harrison, Collins, Holden, Franks (Poole 60, Walker, Oliver, Monkhouse (Compton 35), Barmby (Richards 80), Harewood

Subs: Rafferty, Richards, Jones, Hawkins, Poole, Rowbotham

Referee: Gary Sutton

Att: 6617