Murray: It’ll be tough to lift spirits at Hartlepool United

On-loan Magpie Adam Campbell lines up a shot for Hartlepool against York City. Picture by Frank Reid
On-loan Magpie Adam Campbell lines up a shot for Hartlepool against York City. Picture by Frank Reid
Have your say

PAUL Murray admits he is facing a difficult task lifting his players after their collapse against York City.

Going into the game, the Hartlepool United manager had labelled the match an early six-pointer and wasn’t playing down the importance of the League Two match at Victoria Park.

What he wasn’t expecting was for his side to collapse in front of his very eyes, gifting Russ Wilcox’s men all three points having gone into half-time leading 1-0.

Murray and his coaching staff will today look through a DVD to assess what went wrong, but he insists there was plenty of positives to take from it.

“It will be difficult to pick the lads up,” said Murray.

“But I have to get the negatives out of the way and show them what they are really capable of.

“After the match the players were upset but they probably went away thinking ‘for half an hour we should have been 2-0 or 3-0 up’.

“But it wasn’t to be.”

Pools had two strong penalty appeals, one in the first-half when Michael Duckworth was body-checked by Stephane Zubar but Tyne & Wear referee Eddie Ilderton waved away the appeals.

Then, just five minutes into the second-half with the home side still leading 1-0, goalscorer Scott Fenwick was brought down by Femi Ilesanmi.

Again, Ilderton was adamant there wasn’t a foul, much to the frustration of Murray on the touchline and the fans on the terraces.

But while the manager was seething with the decision, he refused to make it an excuse for the defeat.

Murray added: “I thought second-half we should have had a penalty, for sure.

“I haven’t watched it back yet but Scott rolled their defender and he stuck his foot in.

“There was a couple of other contentious decisions too – Duckworth was blocked off in the first-half and Stephane Zubar was all over [Sam] Collins at set pieces.

“But we can’t complain about that too much when we gave away three goals in the space of 10 minutes.”

To add insult to injury, right-back Michael Duckworth went off injured towards the end of the second-half.

Murray confirmed afterwards that it was a groin injury and the 22-year-old will be assessed by the medical staff at their Maiden Castle base today.

“I don’t know yet about Ducky’s injury,” added Murray.

“He has hurt his groin, which he has had a problem with previously, and he will be assessed.

“I’m hoping that won’t be too bad but we’ll have to see.”

Duckworth had been a bright spark in the first-half in particular, with his trademark runs down the right flank causing the York City defence problems.

Murray added: “Michael was at the forefront of the good half hour we had in the first-half and it will be an anxious wait on him.”

We have launched a FREE football app covering Sunderland AFC, Newcastle United and Hartlepool United.

For all the latest news, gossip and match coverage straight to your mobile and tablet, download the Football Echo now from here:

Click here to download from the iTunes store

Click here to download from the Google Play store