Mansfield Town 1 Hartlepool Utd 4: Stunning success is straight outta Compton

Hartlepool's Christian Burgess (red, right) battles against Mansfield. Picture by Frank Reid
Hartlepool's Christian Burgess (red, right) battles against Mansfield. Picture by Frank Reid
Have your say

HARTLEPOOL United ended their wait for an away win in stunning fashion at Mansfield Town.

The Stags started the day third top and Pools third bottom but it was impossible to notice the difference

Andy Monkhouse’s seventh-minute pile driver put them ahead and Jack Compton’s two left-foot beauties either side of half-time gave Pools maximum points and the Stags suffered their first home defeat since January.

Mansfield pulled one back from a harsh 75th minute penalty by Sam Clucas.

But Pools finished on a high with James Poole getting the fourth left-foot goal of the afternoon10 minutes from time.

Pools almost conceded a fifth minute goal for the second week running.

Mansfield swung in a free-kick which John Demeter headed back across goal for Ryan Tafazoli whose header came back off Scott Flanders right hand post and the defender put the rebound over.

Pools took the lead in the seventh minute with an ANDY MONKHOUSE screamer

Monkhouse flicked on Flinders goalkick and then got the ball back off Michael Duckworth before advancing and unleashing a rocket from 25 yards which flew past Alan Marriott.

Pools were denied a stonewalled penalty for the second successive Saturday on 20 minutes.

Luke James was brought down in the box but referee Graham Harwood instead of pointing to the spot booked the teenager for diving.

It upset Pools greatly but it did not put them off their football.

Marriott pulled off a great 22nd minute save to deny Jack Compton.

Such was the excellence of the away display, Stags boss Paul Cox made a tactical change midway through the half, withdrawing defender Tafazoli and going 4-4-2 with London Merkel coming on in midfield.

Compton played Monkhose on 33 minutes, the scorer going down under Marriott’s challenge.

There were no penalty appeals this time ... Or yellow cards.

But Pools went two up a minute before half-time when COMPTON cut in from the right and beat Marriott with a left foot stunner from 15 yards.

It was no more than Pools deserved

HT: Mansfield 0 Pools 2

Pools made a dream start to the second half with their third goal.

Poole was tripped four yards outside the home box and COMPTON found Marriott’s left corner with a brilliant 49th minute free-kick.

Monkhouse then went wide with a right foot shot but Pools stayed on top.

The Stags finally had a shot on target on 67 minutes but Flinders saved Jamie McGuire’s shot at the second attempt.

Pools should have made it four on 70 minutes but Walton could not make a clean connection.

Mansfield were awarded the softest of penalties on 75 minutes, referee Harwood penalizing Collins for handball. CLUCAS scored from the spot straight up the middle.

But Pools sealed a deserved win when POOLE scored from 20 yards 10 minutes from time.

Compton was the provider, Poole controlling cleverly before finding the left corner of Marriott’s goal.