Leyton Orient 0 Hartlepool United 2: Match report, Pools win and go up to 17th

Nicky Featherstone goes forward for Pools. Picture by FRANK REID
Nicky Featherstone goes forward for Pools. Picture by FRANK REID
Have your say

Second half goals by Billy Paynter and Nathan Thomas fired Hartlepool United to a great win at Leyton Orient.

Paynter struck in the 49th minute and Thomas in the 69th minute as Craig Hignett's in-form side rose to 17th in the League Two table.

It was a magnificent away performance from Pools, completing a double over the play-off contenders.

Nicky Featherstone almost gifted Orient a fifth-minute opener when he gave the ball away on the edge of the box, but a surprised Armnand Gnanduillet could not keep his shot down.

Pools had a seventh-minute sight at goal when Nathan Thomas's free-kick was whipped in from right, with Adam Jackson heading wide of Alex Cisak's right-hand post.

It sparked a good spell from Pools who won corner after corner.

Nothing came of the flag kicks but it showed Pools were comfortable at the play-off chasers.

Orient had their first real chance in the 28th minute when Ollie Palmer got the better of Matthew Bates before cutting in, with Jackson deflecting his shot wide.

There was more great defending by Carroll and Jackson in the box before Trevor Carson got down well to left to save from home player-boss Kevin Nolan.

Pools had the ball in the Orient net in the 44th minute when Thomas slung over a superb free-kick from the left.

Billy Paynter met it from eight yards, his header flying high past Cisak, only for the linesman's flag to ruin celebrations for offside.


Leyton Orient 0

Pools 0

PAYNTER had the ball in the home net in the 49th minute and there was no offside flag this time.

Luke James and Carroll combined down the left with Carroll getting in a super ball into the six-yard box where Paynter knocked it in from a couple of yards.

There was a chance of a second goal five minutes later, James heading over after Ramage struggled to clear a Magnay cross.

Pools did double their lead on 69 minutes from a THOMAS stunner.

Lewis Hawkins did the spadework, finding Thomas on the right of the box. The forward skinned defender Frazer Shaw before firing a brilliant left foot finish past Cisak.

It was almost 3-0 in the 75th-minute when Cisak pulled off a breathtaking save from a Hawkins shot which had looked destined for his top left corner.

Orient refused to lie down and there were loud appeals for a penalty when Featherstone blocked an effort on the line and Carson pulled off wonder save diving to right.




Leyton Orient: Cisak, Clohessy, Hunt, Ramage, Brisley, Binnom-Williams, Atangana, Payne (James 75), Nolan (Shaw 61), Palmer, Gnanduillet (Turgott 61), Simpson

Subs: Shaw, James, Turgott, Pollock, Gregory, Koroma,

Pools: Carson, Magnay, Bates, Jackson, Carroll, Featherstone, Gray (Walker 82), Hawkins (Woods 76), Thomas, Paynter, James (Bingham 87).

Subs: Bartlett, Richards, R Jones, Bingham, Oates, Woods, Walker

Goal: Paynter 49, Thomas 69

Booked: Featherstone 51

Referee: Fred Graham

Att: 5,543 (away 359