Hartlepool Utd 1 Newport County 0: Fenwick slays the Butcher boys

Hartlepool United striker Scott Fenwick celebrates his winner against Newport County. Picture by Frank Reid
Hartlepool United striker Scott Fenwick celebrates his winner against Newport County. Picture by Frank Reid
Have your say

Scott Fenwick scored his first goal of the season to extend Hartlepool United’s 100 per cent start in League Two.

It was not the best of performances from Pools against a decent Newport County side managed by ex-Sunderland boss Terry Butcher.

But their third win came thanks to Fenwick’s 51st-minute screamer from the edge of the box.

The night began with a warm hand from all sides of the ground for boss Ronnie Moore on his return to the Vic.

It would not have been the start he was looking for after watching Pools concede a corner in the first minute and the first shot in second, Seth Twumasi going over.

One of the rare moments of drama came when Newport keeper Joe Day’s booted long downfield with Scott Harrison’s header looping towards the home goal but Adam Bartlett collected with relative comfort.

Pools almost paid the price for watching Newport pass ball the about unhindered, but Mark Byrne’s shot from 20yards cleared the bar.

The hosts had their first shot in the 23rd minute, Rakish Bingham going well wide from outside the box.

There was a better situation five minutes later when Pools were awarded a free-kick two yards outside Newport’s box, but Michael Woods hit the top of the Rink End stand

Pools not the side they were at Fleetwood and the only other first half shot came from Aaron Collins who went miles over the bar for County.

Pools took the lead in the 51st minute in stunning fashion through Fenwick.

The striker picked up 30 yards out and stormed forward, pulling the trigger on the edge of the area, his unstoppable shot going high into keeper’s top left corner.

Fenwick was clearly happier on his right foot as he proceded to blaze into Morrison’s car park with his left boot shortly afterwards.

Newport reminded Pools they were still very much in it when Regan Poole had a free header which, thankfully, went over the bar from a 58th minute corner.

Pools were almost two up in the 64th minute when Bingham spun defender Scott Barrow from Carroll’s up and under, drawing a good save with a stinging shot.

With the clocking starting to tick, they won a couple of corners in quick succession but could not capitalise on either.

Pools put together some nice play around the away box in the 76th minute with Fenwick going high and wide after good work by Featherstone.

It was to prove the scorer’s last play as he was replaced by Rhys Oates.

Pools went close to a second eight minutes from time when Poole cleared off line from Paynter after the skipper had made some room for himself.

Pools: Bartlett, Duckworth, Harrison, Bates, Carroll, Magnay, Featherstone, Woods (Walker 86), Fenwick (Oates 76), Paynter, Bingham.

Unused subs: Denton, Jones, Oyenuga, Smith, Nelson-Addy

Goal: Fenwick 51

Newport County: Day, Holmes, Barrow, Elito, Klukowski (Owen-Evans 73), Twumasi, Boden, Parselle, Poole, Byrne, Collins.

Unused subs: Taylor, Hayden, Shephard, Bamford, Jones, Angel

Referee: Ben Toner

Attendance: 3739 (73 Newport)