Hartlepool United and Salford City to replay after 1-1 FA Cup draw

Rhys Oates scored the opening goal
Rhys Oates scored the opening goal
Have your say

Hartlepool United and Salford City will have to do battle again for a place in the third round of the FA Cup.

The televised game at Moor Lane ended in a 1-1 draw, with neither side doing enough to earn a win in front of the nation.

Rhys Oates gave Pools the pefect start but Salford equalised through Steve O'Halloran.

It was a poor encounter, with little quality on show from either side on a blustery night in the North West.

Pools got off to the perfect start, birthday boy Oates storming down the left-wing before being felled inside the box by Andy Dawson.

Oates, who turned 21 today, took the penalty himself, finishing clinically past Salford keeper Jay Lynch.

Just the start Ronnie Moore wanted as Pools took advantage of the slow Salford centre back pairing.

It was the first goal scored by a Pools striker in 478 minutes.

Evo-Stik Northern Premier Division side Salford didn't crumble though and they hit back in the 23rd minute.

Scott Burton's deep free-kick wasn't dealt with, Steve O'Halloran sweeping the ball home from close range at the back post.

A smoke bomb was let off in the main stand, but it soon cleared as referee Gavin Ward threatened to lose control of the game.

A few feisty tackles allowed to go, frustrating the Pools bench, in particular.

Pools rarely threatened the Salford goal after taking the early lead, a couple of corners and a header over the most Pools could muster.

Mikael Mandron, in particular, struggled badly, while Scott Fenwick was ineffective out wide.

Half-Time: Salford City 1 Pools 1

Pools started the second half with more attacking intent, Adam Jackson shooting wide and Duckworth blasting high over the bar.

It wasn't long before Moore hauled the disappoint Mandron off, Rakish Bingham his replacement.

Pools lacked intensity and urgency going forward, it wasn't until Gray forced a superb save from Lynch on the hour mark that they looked like scoring again.

Carson then got down low to deny Lewis Hardcastle as Salford pressed.

Up the other end, sub Bingham missed a sitter, heading over from four-yards out after a clever free-kick routine involving Gray and Magnay.

Carson was again called upon to keep out the hosts, doing well to palm over Lynch's long-range, dipping effort 15 minutes from time.

Fenwick, playing in a more central position, then missed a great chance, heading the ball back towards the penalty spot from close range, instead of at goal.

It was an awful miss.

Poole then fired a free-kick just wide of the right-hand post in the closing stages, with the sides having to replay for a place in the third round.

Full-Time: Salford City 1 Pools 1

Pools (4-3-3): Carson, Duckworth, Bates, Jackson, Carroll, Featherstone, Magnay (C), Gray, Oates, Mandron (Bingham, 55), Fenwick.

Subs Not Used: Bartlett, Jones, Nearney, Harrison, Walker, Smith.

Booked: Carroll (88)

Goals: Oates (8)

Salford (4-3-3) J Lynch, C Lynch (C), O'Halloran, Stopforth, Howson, Dawson, Hardcastle, Burton, Webber (Hulme, 79), Allen (Mwasile, 85), Poole

Subs Not Used: Dootson, Giverin, Moses.

Booked: Dawson (69)

Goals: O'Halloran (23)

Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey)

Attendance: 1,400