FULL TIME: Hartlepool United remain bottom after 1-0 Southend defeat

Charlie Wyke in action.
Charlie Wyke in action.
Have your say

HARTLEPOOL United remain bottom of the Football League after their seventh away defeat of the season, losing 1-0 at Southend United.

David Worrall was given all the time in the world to burst through the heart of the Pools defence before finishing well past Scott Flinders in the 65th minute.

It was the only goal of the game and enough to separate the two sides at Roots Hall.

New Pools signing Scott Fenwick came on as a second-half sub to make his professional debut.

But he couldn’t inspire a comeback for Paul Murray’s side who remain bottom of Sky Bet League Two with just 12 points.

Middlesbrough striker Charlie Wyke and Sunderland defender Scott Harrison both started along with fellow loanee Matt Crooks as Murray made three changes.

New signing Scott Fenwick was named on the bench against Phil Brown’s side who started the day 7th in Sky Bet League Two.

Pools - playing in their pink away strip - lined up in a 4-3-3 formation, with Wyke up front supported by Jonathan Franks and Sidney Schmeltz.

There was an early shout for a Southend penalty in the 10th minute, Featherstone with the challenge on Jack Payne on the edge of the area with the appeals dismissed.

But the ball broke to Barry Corr and his left-footed shot was saved by Scott Flinders.

Southend, who hadn’t won in four at home, had the better of the possession and the early chances with Flinders’ goal coming under increasing pressure.

David Worrall, Luke Prosser and Kevan Hurst all having headers saved by the Pools Number 1 in the opening half-hour.

Pools fought back, Nicky Featherstone forcing Daniel Bentley into an excellent low shot in the 36th minute before Jonathan Franks shot inches over from 20-yards.

Brown’s side ended the half strongly and make-shift right-back Adam Thompson was guilty of missing a sitter in the 45th minute from six-yards out.

Half Time: Southend 0 Pools 0

The second-half started the way the first had ended, with Michael Timlin hitting a fierce shot from 20-yards that had Flinders diving at full-stretch in the 49th minute, the ball eventually cleared.

Murray didn’t waste any time making his first changes of the afternoon, Crooks and Schmeltz hooked after just 56 minutes to be replaced by Jordan Richards and Scott Fenwick.

Former Dunston UTS star Fenwick making his professional debut for the club.

With 63 minutes on the clock, Flinders was again forced into action making a low save from a cleverly disguised first-time shot from Ryan Leonard.

Two minutes later and Southend took the lead.

Featherstone was robbed of the ball near the half-way line and Worrall broke up the other end at pace, dancing through the centre of defence before finishing low past Flinders.

Wyke tested Bentley from 25-yards, the keeper at full-stretch to push the ball away for a corner.

Walker then fizzed a shot just wide of the post as Pools looked to hit back straight away.

Marlon Harewood came on from the bench with 11 minutes left to play, replacing Wyke up front but he couldn’t find Pools a way back into the match.

Southend were then denied a strong penalty appeal, Corr fouled inside the area in the final minute of the match.

Full Time: Southend 1 Pools 0

Southend (4-5-1): Bentley, White (C), Thompson, Prosser, Worrall, Timlin, Hurst, Bolger, Leonard, Payne, Corr.

Subs Not Used: Smith, Atkinson, Clifford, Coulthirst, Layne, Deegan, Matsuzaka.

Booked: Timnlin (11).

Goal: Worrall (65)

Pools (4-5-1): Flinders (C), Duckworth, Collins, Harrison, Austin, Franks, Walker, Featherstone, Crooks (Fenwick, 56), Schmeltz (Richards, 56), Wyke (Harewood, 79).

Subs Not Used: Holden, Bates, Hawkins, Jones.

Booked: Austin (45), Fenwick (85)

Referee: Patrick Miller (Bedfordshire)

Attendance: 5,436 (Pools 168)

Twitter: @RichMennearJP