Fulham 1 Newcastle Utd 0: Sorry Toon beaten by basement club

HEADS UP ... Fulham's Brede Hangeland and Newcastle United's Yoan Gouffran, left, battle for the ball.
HEADS UP ... Fulham's Brede Hangeland and Newcastle United's Yoan Gouffran, left, battle for the ball.
Have your say

BASEMENT club Fulham beat managerless Newcastle United 1-0 at Craven Cottage this afternoon.

Ashkan Dejagah scored the only goal of the game midway through the second-half.

The result saw the club drop one place in the Premier League to ninth, with Southampton having climbed above United.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, banned from the stadium for his headbutt on Hull City’s David Meyler, was forced to watch a TV feed of the game.

And the fixture will have made for frustrating viewing for the 52-year-old.

Chances were few and far between for United, who were unahppy that a foul on Luuk de Jong wasn’t penalised in the build-up to Dejagah’s goal.

Referee Howard Webb also waved away appeals for a late penalty after Johnny Heitinga appeared to handle the ball in his own box.

The team’s best two opportunities fell to the recalled Papiss Demba Cisse, who was twice denied by David Stockdale.

Teenage striker Adam Armstrong came off the bench late in the game to make his senior debut for his boyhood club.


Newcastle’s Hatem Ben Arfa targeting Crystal Palace return

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew boosted by Mourinho & co

Academy ace Liam Smith hoping for pro contract at Newcastle

Fulham had the better of the first half, though Cisse came close to giving Newcastle an advantage at the break.

United had a couple of early scares on the banks of the River Thames. Goalkeeper Tim Krul gathered a Lewis Holty free-kick at the second attempt.

And Holty put a corner across the face of the visiting goal in the 10th minute which was missed by everybody.

Newcastle came to life late in the half, and de Jong, playing behind Cisse, drilled a low shot into the arms of Fulham goalkeeper Robbie Stockdale.

The best chance fell to Cisse at the far post after a right-wing Moussa Sissoko cross was missed by de Jong.

However, Redcar-born Stockdale was able to turn the striker’s shot round the post.

De Jong shot wide early in the second-half after a quick break forward, and there was another scare at the other end when a Pajtim Kasami shot hit the crossbar and bounced on the line.

But the Hawk-Eye goalline technology installed at Craven Cottage revealed a fraction of the ball hadn’t crossed the line.

Cauley Woodrow slipped the loose ball past Krul, but his effort was adjudged to have been offside.

Fulham, however, took the lead in the 68th minute – seconds after Cisse had been denied again by Stockdale.

They quickly broke upfield and substitute Dejagah beat Krul with a low shot.

Cisse was then replaced by Shola Ameobi, and 17-year-old Armstrong was thrown on for the last five minutes.

In injury-time Heitinga appeared to handle in the box in injury-time.

But Webb waved play on, and his decision incensed Newcastle.

And relegation-threatened Fulham held on to claim their first win under new manager Felix Magath.

Twitter: @milesstarforth

FULHAM: Stockdale; Heitinga, Hangeland, Amorebieta, Richardson; Kasami (Dejagah, 61, Burn, 87), Kvist, Sidwell, Kacaniklic; Holtby (Riether, 82); Woodrow. Subs: Stekelenburg, Riise, Rodallega, Roberts, Burn.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Krul; Yanga-Mbiwa, Coloccini, Williamson, Dummett; Sissoko, Anita (Marveaux, 81), Tiote, Gouffran; de Jong (Armstrong, 86); Cisse (Shola Ameobi, 71). Subs: Alnwick, Haidara, S Taylor, Gosling.

Goals: Dejagah 68

Bookings: Dejagah 69

Referee: Howard Webb (Sheffield)

Attendance: 25,664