FA Cup: Ten-man Mechanics hit back to earn second crack at Pickering

Washington are off on their travels tomorrow to replay at Pickering Town in the preliminary round of the FA Cup.

Monday, 22nd August 2016, 12:00 pm
Chester-le-Street chance their arm with a shot from range in Saturday's FA Cup tie against Marske United. Picture by Tim Richardson

Twice behind at the Nissan Sports Complex on Saturday, they overcame the disadvantage of having two players sent off to claim a 2-2 draw.

The Mechanics had Andrew Brown red-carded for a second bookable offence on 45 minutes and, early in the second period, Nick Thompson capitalised on a defensive mistake to give the Yorkshiremen the lead.

But 10-man Washington hit back, with Anthony Callaghan volleying home a 56th-minute equaliser.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mattie Turnbull restored the advantage to the visitors, before, 13 minutes from the end, Mark Davison levelled from the spot. Worse was to follow for Steve Hutchinson’s side, however, when Lewis Galpin was shown a straight red card in the 87th minute.

Northern Counties East League side Pickering drew 2-2 at Ryhope CW in the last round before progressing on penalties after another draw in the replay.

Washington or Pickering will be at home to Shildon in the first round qualifying on September 3.

Chester-le-Street bowed out, losing 4-0 to Marske United, who just about wrapped up their passage into the qualifying rounds by the 30th minute.

At this stage, they led 3-0 thanks to strikes from Jamie Owens, Reece Kelly and Danny Earl (pen) and there was certainly no way back for the Cestrians when they conceded a fourth goal to Matthew Bell in the 50th minute.

Bishop Auckland produced one of the best performances of the day when they came from behind to defeat Nelson 4-1 in Lancashire.

Richard Cowan was a second-minute marksman for the hosts before three goals in 10 minutes, either side of half-time, set Bishops on their way.

Andy Johnson, Michael Hoganson and Jeff Smith were the scorers and the visitors made it four with summer signing Andre Bennett’s late strike. They next host Ossett Albion.

Shildon eased past Kendal Town 2-0 when Lewis Wing scored both goals and Consett played well to win 1-0 at Clitheroe where Clark Kay scored with a slick finish, following a one-two with Lewis Teasdale.

Consett will be away again in the next round, visiting Harrogate RA.

Newcastle Benfield returned from Padiham with a 2-1 win, courtesy of Michael Coghlan and Paul Brayson.

Two sides who have enjoyed playing at Wembley in recent years, clashed at the Daren Persson Stadium and visitors Morpeth Town emerged victors, with Michael Chilton’s first-half strike sending North Shields out of the competition.

Dunston UTS replay at Penrith on Wednesday night – with the prize of a home clash with Skelmersdale United awaiting the winners – following an exciting 3-3 draw. Dan Halliday, Scott Heslop and Malcolm Morien earned the Tynesiders a second chance.

At one stage, the Cumbrians led 3-1 through Jamie Street, Martyn Coleman and Richard Faustino.

Shaun Hudson converted an Adam Burnicle cross for West Auckland’s consolation in a 5-1 defeat to impressive Lancaster City. West, meanwhile, have signed Marske United striker Adam Preston.

FA Cup, first round qualifying draw (ties Sep 3): Washington or Pickering Town v Shildon, Bishop Auckland v Ossett Albion, Newcastle Benfield v Bridlington Town, Dunston UTS or Penrith v Skelmersdale Utd, Harrogate Railway Athletic v Consett, Marske Utd v Marine, Billingham Synthonia v Ossett Town, Morpeth Town v Colwyn Bay