Eight seal place in Vase draw

Have your say

THE STL Northern League have eight sides in today’s draw for the third round of the FA Carlsberg Vase.

Only three teams went out on Saturday. Bedlington Terriers scored three times away from home through Stephen Stewart and Stephen Richardson (2) but Parkgate went through 4-3.

An only goal by Josh Greening resulted in Gillford Park losing at Bridlington Town and despite a spirited rally, Billingham Town lost to Glossop North End.

Samuel Hinds and Darren Hamilton had the Derbyshire side two goals up before Jamie Owens and Micky Dunwell restored parity. Late in the game Michael Arthur was desperately unlucky to concede an own goal and in stoppage time Alex Elliott also struck.

Elsewhere, there were celebrations for eight teams. Dunston UTS blitzed Blackwell MW 12-1 as the goals flowed from Stephen Goddard (3), Andrew Bulford (3), Lee McAndrew (2), Stephen Shaw, Brad Brooking, Chris Swailes and Ben Cattanach.

Spennymoor Town were also in scoring mode at Barnoldswick Town where they went nap courtesy of Sonny Andrews, with a brace, Gavin Cogden, Michael Laws and Russell Clarke (og).

Whitley Bay, who have lifted the Vase in each of the last three seasons, put their indifferent league form behind them when they defeated Tadcaster Albion with ease.

The Seahorses produced their best performance of the season with Paul Chow, Paul Robinson, Craig McFarlane and Chris Fawcett all on target.

In contrast, an only goal by Jonny Godsmark earned Ashington their place in the next round at the expense of Norton and Stockton Ancients and Billingham

Synthonia progressed in their home tie with Crook Town. Danny Wray and Danny Earl netted.

After establishing an interval advantage with two goals from Marc Walton, Consett were pegged back by Ramsbottom United for whom Mark Drew and Ian Flannery netted.

The Steelmen rallied and regained the advantage thanks to Michael Mackay, who sealed his team’s place in the next stage when he was again on target just before the end.

Declan Marshall fired Barton Town Old Boys in front at Newcastle Benfield, who won with an own goal by Michael Dixon and an 88th-minute winner from Brian Dodsworth.

Stuart Banks (2) and Michael Rae steered West Auckland Town to victory over Bacup Borough whose only goal was credited to Adrian Bellamy.