Durham Sunday League: Keeper Sean Simpson wins Boar war in dramatic penalty shoot-out

Second Division Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars rallied from 3-0 down to beat Premier visitors Chilton WMC in a thoroughly entertaining League Cup third round tie.

Saturday, 5th November 2016, 7:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 2:56 pm
Seaham Marlborough (white) battle Dubmire (yellow/black) in the Over-40s League last weekend. Picture by Kevin Brady

Kieran Harnett scored an excellent solo effort to give Chilton the interval lead. Harnett and substitute Byron Brown increased Chilton’s lead to 3-0 on the hour mark.

But Wild Boar showed good character and Chilton imploded, fighting back with a Rob Thompson header, a Shaun Corner strike and a lovely curling effort from Liam Lusk to level at 3-3.

Extra time failed to produce a winner, setting up a shoot-out decider. Joe Robinson, Karl Anderson and Liam McKitten all scored for Houghton, and a couple of excellent saves from Sean Simpson prevented Chilton from scoring any of their spot-kicks as Boar won 3-0.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Craig Fletcher was outstanding at centre-back for Boar.

Ferryhill Dynamoes edged past Chester Garden Farm 2-0.

Ferryhill scored early on but were made to work hard by a good Garden Farm side. The game was killed off 10 minutes into the second half, with Jonathan Mason and sub Chris Devine grabbing their goals. Stephen Ward starred, with Jordan Gibson best for Farm.

Burnside WMC secured a fantastic win, knocking Farringdon ISL out of the Durham County Sunday Cup.

Burnside held the Sunderland Sunday League champions to a 2-2 draw before winning a dramatic penalty shoot-out 4-3.

Newton Aycliffe Locomotion won through 5-2 at Sunderland side The Ashbrooke.

Aycliffe were a strong first half and shot into a three-goal lead through Corey Nicholson and a Sonny Andrews brace.

Ashbrooke got a fortunate goal back when a free-kick took a massive deflection to beat keeper Poskett, and they had a real go in the second half, but Danny Richmond hit Aycliffe’s fourth.

Ashbrooke struck again, but Lewis Martin sealed the win with a great strike five minutes from time.

Ouston Juniors lost out 7-3 to Easington CIU on a frustrating day.

Ouston led through a great Jack Dickinson strike, but Easington hit back to lead at the break.

Easington increased their advantage before Cal Winship scored twice, with a free-kick and a penalty.

Brandon Sports Club won 4-2 at Washington Westwood, while Ferryhill Celtic squeezed home 1-0 at Sunderland side TS Potters.

Sedgefield St Edmund’s edged home 1-0 against Hartlepool Throston Wanderers.

Chester 18Seven Bar progressed in the Stepy’s Coaches President’s Trophy, beating Bearpark 5-2.

Four-goal star man Jordan Stevens led the way, with Allen Robson also notching. Bennett and Blake responded as Bearpark improved in the second half.

New Brancepeth WMC finished 4-2 winners at Framwellgate Moor WMC in the JD Taxis Guards Cup.

Man of the match Anthony Holliday grabbed a hat-trick, with Anthony Bussey also scoring.

In the league, Division One leaders Hilda Park were held 2-2 by lowly visitors Houghton Chilton Lodge.

Stephen “Chips” Clifford levelled Lodge’s opener, then debutant Luke Roberts put Hilda ahead only for the visitors to equalise. Sadly, Kieron Moralee’s season looks to be over after a serious knee injury. Good goalkeeping by Lee Henderson denied Lodge a winner. Stephen Gregory starred for Hilda.

West Rainton pipped Whitehills 2-1 after falling behind when a long free-kick by the visitors was headed in by James Cattell.

Whitehills’ celebrations were cut short as West Rainton equalised within a minute, capitalising on a lapse of concentration in defence and Tom Blair could only turn the ball into his own net.

Whitehills had an effort ruled out for offside, and Rainton won it when they broke well from defending a corner. Andrew Ward and Mark Wild claimed Rainton’s goals. Craig Jackson starred for Rainton, Gareth Patterson for Whitehills.

Langley Park moved top in Division Two after a thrilling 3-2 win over Bede Lodge SC.

Langley went two up after Bede had a goal disallowed for offside, but Chris Dodds and Stuart Thompson hauled the visitors level.

Langley, though, bagged the vital fifth goal of the game. Steven Cummings, Liam Bowes and sub Conor Parker-Platt bagged the hosts’ goals, with Daniel Moses starring. Andrew Bell shone for Bede.

Durham County were way too strong for hosts Bishop Middleham, romping home 7-0.Andrew Bartle’s brace was backed by Stanley Ogunsuyi, Alex Graham, Bradley Hird and two own goals.

Ferryhill Community Hub won 2-1 at High Handenhold Bird Inn, with keeper Dean Halpin star man. Shane Snaith and John Burnham notched either side of a Jonathan Swift strike.

Pelton Crown and Ushaw Moor Cricket Club shared the spoils in a 4-4 draw.

Captain Mark Foster headed Pelton ahead, but Ushaw came back strongly without scoring. Liam Mitchell’s fine finish doubled the lead and, after the visitors replied, Crown went 3-1 up.

The cricketers hit back to 3-3 late on, only to fall behind again, but a long ball late on caught the hosts out and Ushaw Moor equalised, then had a similar effort disallowed in a sensational finish.

Dean Stewart and Ryan Smith added to Crown’s first two goals, while doubles from Andrew Smith and sub Scott Nattrass rescued Ushaw Moor, whose star man was Paul Taylor. Connor Shaw shone for Crown.

Lumley moved up to fourth in Division Three with a 2-1 victory over bottom club Newton Hall Jovial Monk.

Kelvin Scorer converted a penalty to give Lumley the lead. Monk equalised in the second half, but Brett Russell powered in a header late on to seal all three points. Scott Melvin shone for Lumley.

Ruthless Dubmire walloped Pittington 6-0, inspired by doubles from Stephen Donkin and Barry Turton.

Paul Coxon was star man, with Jed Croft and James Gardiner adding to the tally.

Sedgefield SC edged home 3-2 at Lumley Snooker Club.

Lumley were on top for the first half, going ahead with Anth Jones’s well-weighted lob, after a great through ball from star man Rob Laws. Laws restored the lead in the second half, deflecting a free-kick in off the wall. But Sedgefield bagged two well-taken goals to win it.

Grange Villa defeated Witton Gilbert 5-3 in an entertaining Fourth Division game.

Danny Hill slotted the opener from Mark Greener’s great through ball, then stand-in keeper Chris Howey’s long ball reached Tom Rutherford, who scored his first ever goal for the club.

Ben Jefferson, Gavin Bowen, heading in a Rutherford cross, and Rutherford, from Bowen’s centre, made it five.

Witton hit three goals in 14 minutes, but they failed to reduce the deficit further in the final 10 minutes.

Leaders Lambton Lions saw off East Rainton 5-2 to end their visitors’ 100% record. Liam Bain stole the show with a clinical hat-trick for the well-organised hosts, supported by Ross Mitchinson and an own goal.

Callum Fletcher, who opened the scoring, and star man Jonathan Gaunt hit Rainton’s goals. Having conceded only two goals all season, they lost three in eight minutes against Lions.

Sacriston The Shoes secured only their second win, 5-1 at Durham Buffaloes Head. Sacriston led 2-0 at half-time against the run of play, but they dominated the second half and ran out good winners, with Ryan Mundell scoring an injury time penalty consolation. Kevin Hepburn was Buffs’ star man.

Gateshead Last Orders beat Durham Rangers 1-0 to make it three unbeaten. A tight affair was settled by Jonny Graham’s fine volley.