Durham Sunday League: Burnside on the right track to give Locomotion a cup scare

Burnside WMC put up a good show before losing 2-1 to Newton Aycliffe Locomotion in the League Cup.

Saturday, 29th October 2016, 7:30 am
Updated Monday, 31st October 2016, 8:58 am
Over-40s League action between The Philadelphia (red/black) and Peterlee Helford

Second Division Burnside’s bright start was rewarded with a well-taken Grant Craig opener under pressure, but their Premier visitors rallied, equalising with Gavin Wilson’s 30-yarder, helped by a deflection.

Corey Nicholson broke clear to grab the winner before the break, and they survived a lot of second-half Burnside pressure, and strong claims for a penalty, to see out the win.

Washington Cross Keys eased to a 5-2 win in a feisty game at East Rainton, who did not turn up in the first half and were two down in 15 minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Andrew Shepherd and sub Lee Gaunt struck for Rainton, with star man Darren Green, Philip Marriott, Craig Crosby, Luke Duffield and Anthony Morrell hitting Keys’ goals.

Craig Henniss was Rainton’s top man.

Dubmire WMC exited, losing 4-2 to visitors Chester 18Seven Bar, who had star man Jordan Stevens, Michael Jones and Stephen Wood (2) on target. Gardiner and Croft hit Dubmire’s replies.

Brandon Sports Club took their chances in a gripping tie as they pipped impressive Durham County 3-2.

Adam Burnham (2) and sub Steven Parnaby got Brandon through, with the winner taking a big deflection, while Bradley Hird and Jack Carr struck for County.

Ferryhill Celtic progressed in the Castle Insurance Alan Smith Memorial Trophy, winning 3-2 after extra time at New Brancepeth WMC.

Depleted Celtic, fielding only 10 men, held out until the 40th minute when Brancepeth capitalised on a goalkeeping error.

Luke Thompson’s well-taken goal levelled it up, but Brancepeth, with Mark Hughes and Ryan Wilkinson their scorers, regained the lead. Thompson, though, equalised again and Anthony Phillips hit a deserved winner in extra time.

Houghton Town ran out good 3-1 winners at Sacriston Cricket Club in a hard-fought Premier Division match, with both teams short of first-teamers. Lee McBeth was Houghton’s hero, hitting a treble, while Jake Cairns was man of the match.

Leaders Sedgefield St Edmund’s had to fight back from 2-0 and 4-3 down to draw 4-4 with impressive Ouston Cherry Tree. Josh Fryer lashed home Tree’s opener, and he doubled the lead after good work from Jak Gordon.

Stephen Flockett and Jordan Hilder levelled either side of the break, but Mark Bailes volleyed Ouston back in front. Flockett made it 3-3, but Micky Ross’s penalty gave Tree the lead again. Brian Fairhurst blazed a spot-kick wide for Saints before Flockett completed his hat-trick with a fine lob to ensure the draw in stoppage time.

Pelton RAOB outgunned Sacriston WMC 6-2, led by Craig Mickle’s hat-trick.

Michael Graver, Jack Honour and James Latham also notched.

Sherburn Village beat Waldridge Park 3-0 for their first league win.

The home keeper made some good saves to keep Park at bay, then Sherburn went ahead from the penalty spot.

Waldridge keeper Luke Hilliard, though, suffered a serious cut to the eye and had to go to hospital following a late challenge, which brought a red card for the attacker.

Two late goals on the break sealed Sherburn’s win.

A great performance from Whitehills secured them their first win of the season, beating Framwellgate Moor WMC 1-0 in Division One.

Whitehills dominated throughout, with Ryan Grayson volleying in Graham’s cross for the only goal, while their solid defence never really looked like conceding.

Leaders Hilda Park slipped up with a first defeat, 2-1 at home to Pelaw Grange Dogs.

Pelaw started well after a cagey opening, deservedly going ahead only for Jamie Gordon to level. The Dogs continued to impress and they sealed victory 10 minutes from time, with Connor Grieves and Darryl Bell their marksmen.

Conor Henderson starred for Hilda, with Michael Redshaw best for Pelaw.

Houghton Chilton Lodge’s run of disastrous results continued with a 4-1 defeat at Ferryhill Dynamoes.

Dynamoes dominated and led with Nathan Carr’s goal, but Liam Mence equalised. Second-half strikes from Josh Gash, Callum Sweeney and Carr killed off Lodge, whose star man was Iain Macpherson.

West Rainton scraped through, winning 1-0 at Coxhoe Red Lion. Tom Orton produced some fine saves to deny Rainton, but sub Andrew Ward headed home from close range for the winner. Jamie Bowes starred, with Mark Watson best for Lion.

Bede Lodge SC turned on the style late on to run out 9-5 winners against Pelton Crown in an epic Second Division clash.

Stuart Thompson led the way with a four-goal haul, backed by Daniel Mann (2), Sean Richardson, Ian Brown and Jonny Hodgson. Liam Mitchell hit all five of Pelton’s goals in another outstanding individual performance.

Langley Park maintained their promotion push with a 4-2 defeat of Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars.

Depleted Boar led twice but failed to hold on for a win.

Star man Shaun Corner put Boar ahead after only 52 seconds, sweeping a left-wing cross past the hapless keeper, but but Steven Cummings levelled within three minutes.

Strong penalty claims were waved away before Nick Thompson scored at the second attempt to restore Boar’s lead early in the second half. Cummings, though, netted twice to equalise and Neil Waters fired a late winner. Matt Wilkie starred for Langley.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club came from behind to beat High Handenhold Bird Inn 4-1.

Dan Watkins headed Bird on top, but Ushaw Moor levelled by the break and they hit three second-half goals to cruise home, with their inability to stay onside costing them the chance of several more goals. Paul Taylor bagged a hat-trick for Ushaw, with Jamie Gregg also netting.

Ferryhill Community Hub pipped Bishop Middleham 4-3 in a topsy-turvy game.

Kyle Quinn (2), Niall Keelty and Neil Birbeck struck for Hub, who led 1-0 before trailing 2-1. Jonathan Hornsby, star man Jonathan Smith and Jon Steel netted for Bishop.

Lumley Snooker Club were good 4-1 victors at Newton Hall Jovial Monk in Division Three.

David Wile fired Monk ahead from a set piece, but Mick Carroll equalised with a well-taken lob. Monk could not get their passing game going and Lumley capitalised, with James Laidler’s double and a debut goal from sub Danny Grant doing the damage.

Bowburn were too strong for hosts Sedgefield SC in a 6-2 away triumph. Adam Birks grabbed a fine hat-trick, with Ben Johnson, Sean McGrail and an own goal making it six. Craig Hill starred.

Lumley cruised to a 5-1 win at second-top Hetton New Inn, inspired by Jonathan Cossar’s clinical hat-trick.

Ross Hughes and Daniel Wallace also notched, with Brett Russell star man.

Pittington claimed an excellent 3-2 victory at Ouston Juniors. Skipper Cal Winship and Neil Worley opened and closed the scoring for Ouston.

Grange Villa were forced to come from behind to defeat bottom club Durham Buffaloes Head 4-1 in Division Four.

Villa squandered a host of chances before Buffs struck from only their second attack in the 39th minute, Ryan Mundell hitting the top corner.

Ben Jefferson equalised from just outside the box after good work from James Bishop.

Fidele Doguie (2) and Alex Stebbings made it 4-1.

Witton Gilbert WMC lost 5-3 to Quarrington Hill, who won after being down to 10 men when their keeper was injured, saving a penalty.

Gavin McCormack had Witton ahead, but the injury inspired Hill, who hit four unanswered goals before David Lumley and David Calcutt gave the hosts hope at 4-3. Hill, though, hit a killer fifth goal on the counter. Michael Bradley was Witton’s top performer.

Ben Goodwin netted for leaders Lambton Lions in their 1-1 draw with Gateshead Last Orders.

Durham Rangers secured a 5-4 home win over Sacriston The Shoes to go joint top, after trailing 3-0 inside half an hour.

Scott Hall, Carlton Mansfield and Philip Scott (2) struck for Shoes.