Durham Sunday League: Buffs make merry with Kerry in cup final romp

Pelton RAOB lifted the Ramside Hall Hotel Cup-Winners' Cup, with a 4-0 final demolition of Newton Aycliffe WMC at New Ferens Park.

Saturday, 30th April 2016, 7:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 12:38 pm
Over 40's football action in the Alan Spedding Cup Final between Dubmire WMC (yellow black) and Heaton Stannington, played at Wearmouth CW

Aycliffe never got out of the blocks before Pelton were ahead, Luke Kerry firing home from well outside the box on six minutes.

Craig Mickle made it two after a needless foul on the edge of the area, then Michael Graver added a third, from Carl Ritchie’s pass, in the 34th minute.

Aycliffe made a game of it in the second half, but Buffs made it four, Mickle netting after his initial effort was saved by Barry Poskett.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Kenneth Ball was star man.

Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars face a do-or-die final game at West Rainton this weekend as they battle to escape the drop in Division One.

Chester Park Inn are down in bottom spot, with Wild Boar, West Rainton and Houghton Chilton Lodge all on 20 points. Boar and Rainton have just the one game left, against each other.

Boar, despite missing a few regulars, put up a brave fight in their 6-2 defeat at runaway champions Ouston Cherry Tree.

Houghton took the lead when Karl Anderson crashed his shot past keeper Dominic McMahon, though Ross Drummond equalised.

Boar went 2-1 up when Craig Fletcher fired into an empty net from 20 yards. Houghton keeper Sean Simpson pulled off a couple of excellent saves before Drummond levelled again from the edge of the area.

Ouston ran the second period, striking four more goals for a comfortable win. Michael Ross struck twice in quick succession after good work from Paul Chilton and Jon Morrison, then Josh Scott made it five before setting up fellow sub Mark Ramsay to head in a late sixth.

Shaun Corner was Boar’s star man.

Houghton Chilton Lodge boosted their survival bid with a 1-1 home draw against Ferryhill Dynamoes.

But they rued the failure to pick up all three points, having dominated the game and passing up eight clear-cut chances.

Ross Meenaghan made the breakthrough just after half-time, however Ferryhill salvaged a point 15 minutes from the end, with Kurt Seymour netting.

Anthony Armstrong was Lodge’s star man, with Dan Taylor best for Dynamoes.

Whitehills ended their season with a flat performance, despite a 1-0 win over Washington Sandpiper.

James Mansell won a penalty and picked himself up to secure all three points in a game of almost no chances. Stephen Fisher starred.

Waldridge Park struggled to a 1-1 draw at Coxhoe Red Lion to stay third, needing five points from their final three games to pip Whitehills to the second promotion place,

Waldridge Park then won 1-0 at Durham County Seniors on Tuesday, with Steven Dobbing on target. Mark Chambers starred.

New Brancepeth WMC won 4-3 in a thriller at Durham County Seniors, thanks to well-taken double from Tony Bussey and Andrew Nicholson, with Adam Purvis star man.

The Premier Division title race will go to the wire.

Leaders Houghton Town and second-top Newton Aycliffe WMC drew 1-1 in an entertaining game on Tuesday. Matthew Stephenson headed Town in front from a corner, but Adam Sakr fired home an equaliser from the edge of the box.

Pelton RAOB, in third, eased to a 6-2 victory at Chilton WMC, inspired by star man Cameron Nichol’s hat-trick.

They were clinical in front of goal, as Luke Kerry (2) and Kenneth Ball also netted, with Byron Brown and Nicky Pickford replying for a Chilton side who struggled to get into the game.

Brandon Sports Club failed to field a full team and paid the price as Newton Aycliffe WMC romped to a 5-0 win, after being kept out for 20 minutes.

Sean Johnson broke the deadlock before four second-half goals followed from Mark Wood, Corey Nicholson and two-goal Danny Mellanby.

Sherburn Village proved more than a match for Sacriston WMC as they cruised to a 5-1 win.

Two James Ellis goals were enough take Sherburn to the break 2-1 up, after Luke Wilson had deservedly given Sacriston an early lead.

Ellis completed his hat-trick and Tom Young and Steven Foster completed a convincing victory.

Sedgefield St Edmund’s comfortably defeated Pelaw Grange Dogs 6-1, thanks to goals from Joe Peel (2), Dan Smith, Lewis Brown, Graham Kime and Brian Fairhurst. Donnelly’s penalty levelled it at 1-1 early in the second half.

On Tuesday, Alex Peake (2) and an own goal earned Pelton RAOB a 3-1 win at Sedgefield St Edmund’s.

Washington Cricket Club handed out a 6-0 Second Division beating to visitors Pelton Crown.

Stephen Conlin led the way with a brace, supported by efforts from star man Chris Trueman, Gary McCartney, Paul Terrell and Paul Patterson.

Pelton, with the bare 11 players, were down to 10 early on as full-back Steven Ions took an accidental elbow in the eye to end his involvement.

Bede Lodge SC romped home 14-1 against a Bishop Middleham side wishing for the season to be over.

Jonathan Hodgson, Chris Dodds and Paul Richardson dominated the game, with all three plundering hat-tricks.

Mark Heslop (2), Lewis Hopper, star man Sean Richardson and Daniel Mann also netted,

Champions Ferryhill Celtic outgunned second-top Framwellgate Moor WMC 6-0, inspired by a Shane Todd hat-trick.

Jason White, Andrew Agar and star man Marco Linhart made it six as Celtic ended their league campaign with 19 wins and three draws in 22 games.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club succumbed 2-1 at home to Langley Park in a very scrappy match on a poor pitch.

Steven Mickle put Langley in front, then Steven Clifford extended the lead before Ushaw hit back with an own goal from the centre-half. Langley stood firm to seal the win.

James Richardson stood out for Ushaw, Liam Bowes for Langley.

On Tuesday, Langley Park comfortably won 4-0 at Pittington, despite Liam Bowes’ early red card. Stephen Clifford (2), Steven Cummings and Kieron Moralee netted. Martin Merren starred.

Washington Cricket Club beat Kelloe WMC 3-0, with Richard Logan (2) and Gary McCartney notching. Michael “Casper” Graham starred in goal for Kelloe.

Burnside WMC need a point from this weekend’s Third Division title decider at rivals Durham County to be champions.

Burnside go into the final game three points ahead of County, who have a better goal difference. If County win, they will be champions, but any other result sees the title go to Burnside.

The Fencehouses outfit won their penultimate match 7-2 at relegation battlers Quarrington Hill WMC, with five-goal Craig Ellison leading the way. Elliot Cutts and Max Stoker also notched.

Washington Jays beat Sedgefield Social Club 3-1, with Chris Lorraine, Adam Hill and Karl Graham on target.

Dubmire edged home 2-1 at Chester-le-Street AFC.

Chester Garden Farm eased home 3-1 at Chester-le-Street AFC on Tuesday, thanks to Robbie Mawson, Ryan Johnson and Stephen Kirkup.

In Division Four, Ouston Juniors eased home 5-1 at Bearpark, with all five of their goals coming in the first half.

Conner Anderson fired a hat-trick, with Matty Cornish and Carl Moxon also on target.

Incredibly, Ouston fielded three father/son combinations, surely a league record.

Paul Hedley and his son Sam were joined by Paul McAdam and his son Matthew, and Ivan Moxon and his son Carl.

On Tuesday, Bearpark won a wintry thriller 5-3 at Durham Federation, after trailing 2-0, with Dylan Crooks, Craig Bennett (2), Bradley Wilson and Gary Purvis on target.

The Swinburne Maddison Durham Sunday League are looking for new clubs for season 2016-17.

All interested parties are asked to email league secretary Graham Lilley - [email protected] - for details.