Dunston see off eight-man hosts to clinch Vase victory

Rain, snow and ice combined to inflict another near-wipeout of Northern League action and only one league match got the go-ahead.

Monday, 18th January 2016, 12:00 pm
Jarrow Roofing (darker blue) take on Harton & Westoe CW in their friendly on the artificial pitch at Mortimer School

Sunderland RCA’s mouth-watering FA Carlsberg Vase fourth round tie with Sleaford Town at Meadow Park was again postponed and a third attempt will be made this coming Saturday.

Newton Aycliffe’s match with Marske United was also called off and it, too, is scheduled for Saturday.

Dunston UTS, who won the trophy in 2012, are the first Northern League side through to the fifth round.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

They played on an all-weather pitch in Birmingham and defeated Coleshill Town 3-1 after extra time.

Dale Burrell was an early scorer for the Tynesiders, but Danico Johnson levelled 15 minutes from the end of normal time.

In extra time, Coleshill had Rob Evans sent off and Stephen Richardson then fired Dunston ahead.

More drama followed when Dan Rathbone was shown a straight red card and UTS made it three against nine men when Aristote Guerin Lakonga struck.

There was still time for the Brummies to be reduced to eight players with the dismissal of Luke Edwards, but, by then, Dunston were on their way to a last 16 tie against Ashford United in Kent on January 30.

“It was a challenge playing on a 3G pitch, but we did well and when they lost their heads, we kept ours,” observed Dunston secretary Bill Montague.

South Shields will make yet another attempt to play their third round tie with Morpeth Town on Consett’s all-weather pitch tomorrow night (7.45pm).

The winners meet North Shields in round four.

The sole Northern League game was in Division Two, and Billingham Synthonia’s 3-1 victory at Darlington RA enabled them to close in on the top three.

Dan Rowbotham was unfortunate to deflect a cross into his own net, giving the Railwaymen a half-time lead and, after Sam Garvie’s 64th minute equaliser, the game looked to be drifting towards a 1-1 draw.

But, in the 90th minute, Macaulay Langstaff gave Synners the advantage and, three minutes into added time, Chris Dickinson cemented a crucial 3-1 win.

The Teessiders are now level on points with third-top Chester-le-Street and only one behind second-placed Ryhope CW.

South Shields lead the field with a nine-point advantage over Ryhope.

Several clubs managed friendlies on artificial surfaces, with West Auckland defeating Willington 4-2 at Maiden Castle thanks to strikes from Adam Burnicle, Scott Oldfield, Mark Hudson and Shaun Hudson.

Jarrow Roofing romped to a 9-1 win over Wearside League club Harton & Westoe CW at Mortimer School

James Fairley grabbed a well-taken hat-trick, supported by efforts from Paul Chow, Kerry Hedley, Richard Paxton, new signing Lee Hamilton, Callum Patton and Michael Coghlan, with a brilliant lob, while Kyle Houshby responded.

South Shields beat Bedlington Trriers 3-1, with Robert Briggs, Leepaul Scroggins and Warren Byrne netting. John Grey, newly signed from North Shields, suffered a mild concussion on his debut.