Blott on the landscape for Ryhope CW as Pickering hit back for FA Cup replay

Ryhope CW, gearing up for life in the Ebac Northern League First Division, are on their travels tomorrow for an FA Cup extra preliminary round tie replay at Pickering Town.

Monday, 8th August 2016, 12:00 pm

Gary Pearson’s men were within seconds, though, of seeing off the Yorkshiremen at the first attempt.

Nathan O’Neill, with a cracking long-range strike, and Joey Melvin, on his debut, fired them into a two-goal lead following a costly mistake by the keeper.

But, after Ryan Blott halved the deficit, Ryhope’s hopes of a first-day win ended as Lewis Taylor converted an injury-time penalty.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The winners of the replay will be away to Washington or Newton Aycliffe in the preliminary round on August 20.

Washington twice let the lead slip and will head to Aycliffe for a replay tomorrow.

A spectacular 25-yard free kick from Mark Davison, after just two minutes, gave Steven Hutchinson’s men a dream start, but John Campbell levelled.

Although debutant Mattie Waters headed in a second goal for the Mechanics, Aycliffe again came back to level, Ashley Coffey netting.

Sunderland RCA went out in an all-First Division tie at Penrith for whom Jake Scott scored the only goal, beating keeper Jordan Harkness from the edge of the penalty area on 67 minutes.

Durham City also made their exit as Billingham Synthonia enjoyed a 4-0 romp.

City held out until early in the second period when a long throw from Liam O’Sullivan caught out the Durham defence and Max Craggs headed home.

From then on it was all downhill, with Nathan Steel (2) and former Spennymoor Town star Anthony Peacock scoring in a 10-minute spell.

Marcus Brown was an early scorer for Bedlington Terriers, but Northern League champions Shildon roared back for a 6-1 win.

Former Blackpool captain David Ferguson rifled a hat-trick, with Lewis Wing, Sam Hodgson and Ben Wood also on target to seal a home tie against Kendal.

Josh Scott and Scott McCarthy were Newcastle Benfield’s heroes in the 2-0 win over Thackley, but Dunston UTS had to settle for a replay after conceding a two-goal lead at Barnoldswick.

Liam Thear and Malcolm Morien had them comfortable, but, following Joe Gaughan’s 79th-minute penalty, UTS were denied when Aaron Hollindrake levelled in the 94th minute.

The replay is at Dunston tomorrow, with the winners then at home to Penrith.

West Auckland had two-goal Stuart Rose and Adam Burnicle to thank for a 3-2 win at Heaton Stannington, clinching a home date with Lancaster City.

Jarrow Roofing will replay against North Shields at Boldon tomorrow night following a goalless draw, while Team Northumbria lost out to Padiham, for whom Alex Murphy scored the only goal.

Whitley Bay were surprisingly held 1-1 by Norton and Stockton Ancients.

Andy Robertson cancelled Dave Mitchell’s opener for Norton and then gave Bay the lead, but, late on, Dale Elgie earned Norton a Wednesday night home replay.

Ashington went out to Lancashire side Nelson for whom Keiran Turner and Zak Dale replied to Scott Gunn’s strike.

Consett made progress with a comfortable 2-0 win at West Allotment Celtic yesterday.

Skipper Dan Craggs opened the scoring from 20 yards on 63 minutes, then Michael Sweet headed in a second to seal the win, setting up a trip to Clitheroe in the next round.